Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
It's easy but takes awhile the first time. I've switched several times but always seem to need to refer to the manual each time. Do you have the manual that came with the fork? There's a step-by-step in there.

I've never had a shop do it so I don't know what they'd charge.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
My pal basically did it for me while I helped. We had never done it before. It is fairly easy, but I don't think it is a begginner job. The directions are a bit confusing and we had a bit of trouble figuring out why the legs did not just easily slide off. More gentle tapping on both sides is needed.

I think anything more than $25 for an LBS is too much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I didn't think it was too hard in retrospect and have since done it 2x. If you take it to a shop be explicit in you only want the 80-100 conversion and not their $80 shock overhaul. There are a few posts about how to do it if you take the time to search. In short be sure to have a set of snap ring pliers and rubber hammer along with your regular allen/socket wrenches. I would also suggest picking up some more oil (both 5w and 15w or whatever you choose to use) as you will loose some of whats in there. If the fork is more than a year old or has seen heavy use it would be a good time to replace the seals as well! (difficult to physically remove and install but not anything you can mess up really)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had it done at LBS

I had my LBS do the change. They charged me $25 and had it back the next day. They also told me that they could now do it more quickly and for less money since they now have some experience with that fork.
My feeling is that they did a nice job and charged a reasonable amount for what they did.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Jerry
:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
LBS >>>> I had my bike in for a tune up and a few new parts. They did it and didn't charge me too much. If you do it yourself in order to save a few bucks and don't get it right you could kill the fork. Also if you have a pro do it they should stand behind their work. ie: tune up the fork, adjust it correctly, be willing to further adjust after the change.

·
meow?
175 Posts
I've done it a couple of times, not a huge deal. if you can do some basic bike work and have the tools, all you need is the oil and manual.

peep the manual and see if your up to it first. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I usually charge customers $25.00 to change the travel, that include using a torque wrench on all fasteners, checking for proper oil height and adjusting the fork for the riders weight and riding style.

Robb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.