Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post so be nice :lol:

Trying to get back into riding again, got a Carrera Vulcan (expecting hate here!) which I am trying to spruce up a bit. Currently pretty much standard but was crying out for forks before I last set the bike up (~6 months ago). Now I'm planning on riding more again I have bought a set of second hand Rockshox Reba Race RL Dual Air, apparently, and going to get them fitted when they arrive in the next couple of days.

Now the guy says it works with a 5mm qr, which I currently have. Got a mavic somethingorother on the rear and the front is still standard and want something beefier. Can I get a wheel with a 9mm qr and run it in this fork without any problems?

Cheers in advance, and hopefully this is gonna push me back into riding again :thumbsup:

·
SS Pusher Man
7,599 Posts
Yes, they are one in the same.

5mm is the Skewer diameter, but the hub sits on a 9mm axle on the hub.

9mm is a thicker skewer that allows the fork to sit on the skewer rather than the hub.

You can run either one.....just depends on your hub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right I'm with you. So technically the 'drop-out' is 9mm diameter so will sit on either a 9mm skewer or a 9mm axle and the skewer around it. Cheers for your help! Guessing I can get a 9mm on the rear then just the same?

Do the hubs come in different widths as well or is any 9mm 26" gonna fit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts