Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"I'm just a patsy"
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i recently purchased a used Reba 29er fork off eBay for what i thought was a good price. unfortunately, i didn't give much thought to the steerer length which is right at 6" without a lower race installed. the steerer is too short for the current bike i'm building, but i've got two questions. 1. is it possible to have a new steerer installed by Rock Shox and if so, any idea on cost? as an alternative, 2. does anyone know of a frame that this short fork will fit? My current bike head tube is about 3 7/8" long, so i guess i would be looking for a frame with a head tube that is around 3 3/8" long. any ideas are appreciated. thanks,
jeff h

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
You should be able to order up a new crown/steerer/stanchion assembly (all comes as one) and swap that in yourself or have any decent shop do so. Not sure what it'll run, but probably enough to negate the savings from having bought a used fork.

Or you can run a shorter stack headset and stem to regain some height. Sounds as if you only need about a half inch, yeah? Depending on what you are using now/what you could swap to, this may be the easiest and cheapest route. You could possibly face a few mm off the top of your present headtube to help out, though that is a rather drastic measure.

·
"I'm just a patsy"
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, just found the Reba Team CSU available for $170ish - is there a difference in the 29er, or is that just for the stanchions? price is a bit steep to me for the overall thought of building another bike though. i do need only 1/2" with the current frame, so i could try to find the shortest stem and headset possible for another build. thanks for the reply,
jeff h.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.