Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
29er Pilot
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you guys have had the Mars 29 fork and have switched to the Reba 29 (Padre, your up to bat). Is it worth it? I have the 03 Supercal with the snazzy paint and if I get it, I'll powder coat it to match, and have a local guy use Mr Fishers 03 frame font for the new "REBA" decals. Im guessing I will have the same down tube issue others have, but thats not a make or break issue. The loss of 1+ pounds on the front will be nice, and I've added alot of other lightweight stuff to it. Im satisfied with the Marz, yeah I agree that it flexes like a fly rod, but I have nothing 29" to compare it to. Yea ! or Nay!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
poff said:
It does not not clear the downtube of smaller (18-19") frames, especially the race model with poplock.
Cane Creek makes a HS with a fatter lower cup. Makes for good clearance. I'm sure others make it as well.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
its worth it...so far.

rode mine for the 1st time last weekend and was rather happy with it. its plush, sets up easy, and doesnt leak air, like my old cx-1 wb did. oh, and the pop lock thingy is actually kinda fun to have....even though it looks rather high tech on a single speed.

the "so far" part is the durability. just dont know. and I'd like to change the travel on it. anyone know how? the manual mentions something about a "complete rebuild" with no other explanation. time to go over to the rs site and see what i can find...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I really like...

...my Reba Race. Less $ than a WB and quality travel/stiffness. Maybe not "quite" as stiff as a WB but close enough for me. Between WB and RS, the Marz is closer to a Winwood - it's that old, flexy and heavy.

I'm a big fella at 250# and it works great for me. As stiff as my Fox forks on my old 26er bikes.

I think the DT clearance issues are overhyped. As ncj01 points out you can just run a taller stack height HS like Cane Creek or FSA to clear most of these issues. Heck, running a CC HS and a Reba would probably put an extra $200+ in your back pocket vs. CK and WB. You could put that towards bling elsewhere. I run the Race as is on my KM - DT be damned!

Sean

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I do not have $$$ issue. I own WB (coil) and Reba. So far WB has been more plush and I find myself not using lockout (Reba's strength) anyway. I will try WB air and make my final decision - but Reba is not going to be in it - I do not want to damage my frame.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Due to ever-thicker tubing on fork, and possibly also wider crowns, clearance is getitng tighter and tighter, especially with 29".
Expect to see all 29" frame makers to just leave a bit more headtube sticking out from under the downtube, or use really sexy hydrofoiling (Lenz Leviathan and Behemoth).

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Reba/293 combo?

As long as we are talking about Reba, is there any issue with non POPLOC/Motion Control Reba in regards to clearance on a 293 downtube?

I am considering a Reba to replace my Marathon SL.

Thanks and sorry for thread highjacking,

Chad

·
29er Pilot
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Down tube issue

If its more commonly seen in the smaller frames I may not have an issue. Im riding the XL Supercal. It would be really cool if someone has already put one on an 03 model to let us know. I'm leaning real heavy toward it. When I find one I'll have to tear it down to powder coat it. I'll leave it at 80mm, but I'll take some serious pics along the process for those who want to set it to 100mm to see. Thanks for the input guys, Im going to start shopping.

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
It is not a Fox Talus!

Disco_Inferno said:
I know some of you guys have had the Mars 29 fork and have switched to the Reba 29 (Padre, your up to bat). Is it worth it? I have the 03 Supercal with the snazzy paint and if I get it, I'll powder coat it to match, and have a local guy use Mr Fishers 03 frame font for the new "REBA" decals. Im guessing I will have the same down tube issue others have, but thats not a make or break issue. The loss of 1+ pounds on the front will be nice, and I've added alot of other lightweight stuff to it. Im satisfied with the Marz, yeah I agree that it flexes like a fly rod, but I have nothing 29" to compare it to. Yea ! or Nay!
I like mine but I wish I had a Fox Talus for a 29'er :( AHHHH I will stop before I get started.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ncj01 said:
the REBA is the best performing 29er fork on the market.

Coincidentally, it is also about the cheapest (of the "good" forks).
I'm trying to decide between two upgrades on my Fisher 293.

1) Marzocchi MX Pro fork to Reba Team or Race fork

or

2) Fox Float R rear shock to new Fox RP3 rear with pro-pedal.

I'm leaning toward the rear shock upgrade because of the pro-pedal efficiency and it's apparently a lot lighter than the old Fox. A new Reba would give me an additional 20 mm of travel in the front but I don't know if that's worth the $500. The idea of reducing bob with the RP3 seems like a good inverstment. Any thoughts?

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Fork

mhertweck said:

or

I'm leaning toward the rear shock upgrade because of the pro-pedal efficiency and it's apparently a lot lighter than the old Fox. A new Reba would give me an additional 20 mm of travel in the front but I don't know if that's worth the $500. The idea of reducing bob with the RP3 seems like a good inverstment. Any thoughts?
"PUSH" your old rear shock (The RP3 is overrated) and buy the Reba

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
mhertweck said:

or

The RP3 isn't really that much of an upgrade. Also check your stock fox rear shock, it may be propedal already...my stock 2004 293 shock was, and my stock 2005 292 is...I don't htink you'll get much bang for your upgrade buck if you go that way. RP3 = overrated. If you must upgrade rear shock, just got for it, get the 5th element.

Get the front fork upgrade, and you'll be MAJOR happy...and massive change in ride quality.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.