Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
“…I can’t even parallel park!”
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Titus was a 2003 Racer X in Anodized Blue, which I bought in 2005. I came from numerous hardtails and was ready for an FS bike. Furthermore, I worked at a bike shop which sold Trek, Cannondale, Klein, and Specialized. Below were the reasons -in order - I purchased from this company over any other brand:

1. mtbr.com reviewed the Racer X 5 out of 5 stars by actual owners with numerous reviews
2. It was a boutique brand that you did not see everywhere like Special Eds and Treks
3. It had the Horst Link, which is a proven FS design (pivot bearings seemed more durable than Specialized)

The Racer X rode superbly as everyone else raved about in the reviews. Currently I have an '08 Motolite and I'm enjoying every mile I put in. What is the reason why you bought a Titus?

·
At Work
1,822 Posts
Just wanted something different. After looking around for over a year I kept coming back to Titus. Was going with a Motolite but came across a great deal on a FTM

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My friend said a racer x ti was the perfect bike for an old school holdouts first fs bike.
I bought one and sure enough he was right. I love everything about it.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,639 Posts
Motolite....solid, proven design with domesitic manufacturing content at a reasonable price point.

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
Wanted a better bike and components. Researched alot more after first purchase and kept coming back to Titus. Made in USA. Excellent handling bike. Climbs like a goat. Just need to overkill and get an El- Guapo for the drops! Then my shop would look complete

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
00sable said:
Wanted a better bike and components. Researched alot more after first purchase and kept coming back to Titus. Made in USA. Excellent handling bike. Climbs like a goat. Just need to overkill and get an El- Guapo for the drops! Then my shop would look complete
It's interesting that you have 2 bikes that does the same thing. It's like having a Ferrari and a Lamborghini in the same garage! <--- Nothing wrong with that.

What's your reason for having two "like" bikes? I used to be more diversified; I had to get rid of my hardtail and freeride bike to fund the Motolite - money well spent...

Currently in my portfolio - a trail bike and a CF road bike

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I had heard about Titus' attention to detail and craftsmanship and I wanted something unique........not to mention how well my Titus performs!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Biohazard74 said:
Whats the warantee on the Titus frames?
From Titus' site:

"What is covered?
This warranty covers the original owner for a period of two years for all ALUMINUM frames and swingarms. CARBON/TI frames are covered for 5 years, and TITANIUM frames are covered for the lifetime of the original owner."

·
TRANCER
2,771 Posts
TitusMotolite said:
From Titus' site:

"What is covered?
This warranty covers the original owner for a period of two years for all ALUMINUM frames and swingarms. CARBON/TI frames are covered for 5 years, and TITANIUM frames are covered for the lifetime of the original owner."
Wow 2 years on an aluminum frame? I love the look of Titus bikes but 2 years for the prices of the frames is ridiculous. I expected atleast a lifetime warantee on a $2000 frame. Or even a $1500 frame.

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Not unusual

Biohazard74 said:
Wow 2 years on an aluminum frame? I love the look of Titus bikes but 2 years for the prices of the frames is ridiculous. I expected atleast a lifetime warantee on a $2000 frame. Or even a $1500 frame.
Thanks for stopping by from Giant for your first post here on the Titus forum.

If you do some research you'll find that most small and boutique bike companies have similar warranties.
Turner is 2 to 3 years, Ventana 1 or 2 years, Yeti 2 to 5 as long as it was built by a Yeti dealer. Santa Cruz 2 years.

Titus titanium bikes lifetime.

Guess you'll have to stick with Giant for reassurance.
Ridiculous.

·
TRANCER
2,771 Posts
Bikerbob.com said:
Thanks for stopping by from Giant for your first post here on the Titus forum.

If you do some research you'll find that most small and boutique bike companies have similar warranties.
Turner is 2 to 3 years, Ventana 1 or 2 years, Yeti 2 to 5 as long as it was built by a Yeti dealer. Santa Cruz 2 years.

Titus titanium bikes lifetime.

Guess you'll have to stick with Giant for reassurance.
Ridiculous.
UUUUUUUUUUUUU touched a soft spot i see? lol Actually i was looking at the Titus frames on Jenson and was intrested in actually getting one for my gf. So before you jump to conclusions maybe you should ask "WHY" im asking? But seeing that you went thru all the trouble to research what i myself own etc i must say im flattered. Maybe you shouldn't be the stick up boy on here for Titus. You are making them look bad. And yes i'd still consider getting one for my gf. No thanks to you :thumbsup: :D

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
Titus Motolite It's just nice to pick which one to ride according to the trails I'm going to. I don't feel comfortable in traffic so no road bike. Nice bikes by the way. Wish I had longer travel on some trails and more speed and climbing abilities on others.

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
just here to help

Biohazard74 said:
UUUUUUUUUUUUU touched a soft spot i see? lol Actually i was looking at the Titus frames on Jenson and was intrested in actually getting one for my gf. So before you jump to conclusions maybe you should ask "WHY" im asking? But seeing that you went thru all the trouble to research what i myself own etc i must say im flattered. Maybe you shouldn't be the stick up boy on here for Titus. You are making them look bad. And yes i'd still consider getting one for my gf. No thanks to you :thumbsup: :D
I do pop up now and then to try and clear up any misinformation. After so many years and so many Titus customers, I have a bit of insight into their bikes, customers, and service.
Was a bit suspicious that your first post on this forum had a negative take right off the bat. Especially on a thread about why people bought a Titus.

Everyone would like their bike to be warrantied for any reason for life, but it ain't happening. But that doesn't stop people from riding Titus, Turner, Yeti, SC, Ventana, etc.

Not much trouble to see what you ride-it says "Trancer" under your Avatar.

Your girlfriend should look closely at a Motolite. Lots of women ride them. Doubtful she'll break it.
Maybe start your own thread about women and Motolites.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,340 Posts
Got a Motolite because it looked like the perfect bike back in Jan 05. I was not disappointed, and it was a great deal (first batch was $1550 or so).

Got an EG because I liked my Motolite and I got a decent deal on a used one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
TitusMotolite said:
From Titus' site:

"What is covered?
This information is incorrect and it is NOT listed on our website. We have a three year warranty on our aluminum frames. This is how our website reads...

http://www.titusti.com/2010/support/warrantyinfo.php

Titus Limited Frame Warranty:

• For the period of up to one year from the date of original consumer purchase, Titus, will repair or replace, at its option, any frame suspension pivot, pivot bushing and frame finish (i.e. Powder coating/Paint) which is determined to be defective in materials and/or workmanship.
  • For the period of up to three years, Titus, will repair or replace any aluminum frame component* which is determined to be defective in materials and/or workmanship.**
  • For the period of up to five years, Titus, will repair or replace any carbon fiber frame component* which is determined to be defective in materials and/or workmanship.**
  • For the lifetime of the original owner, Titus, will repair or replace any titanium and/or titanium-carbon (i.e. Isogrid / Exogrid) frame component* which is determined to be defective in materials and/or workmanship.**

*Full suspension main-frame or rigid main-frame
**Full suspension frame components (i.e. seatay and chainstay) are warranted for a period of three years.

The Titus limited warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being ridden under normal conditions and having been properly maintained. This warranty does not apply to the components attached to the frameset such as suspension components, wheels, drive train, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem. This warranty applies only to the original owner.

The warranty period starts at the day of purchase. This warranty is limited to the original buyer, what means the first person who uses the bike and only with the use it was made for and is non-transferable. Furthermore, this warranty is limited to purchases through authorized Titus dealers to the exclusion of purchases via internet auctions. These limited warranties do not apply to normal wear and tear, nor to claimed defects, malfunctions or failures that result from abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, alteration, collision, crash or misuse. The original owner shall pay all labor charges connected with the repair or removal of all components. Under no circumstance does this limited warranty include the cost of travel or shipment to and from an authorized Titus dealer. In order to exercise your rights under these limited warranties, the bicycle or frameset must be presented to an authorized Titus dealer, together with proof of purchase.

In case of a warranty claim, the decision to repair or replace the defective part is up to Titus. Non defective parts will only be replaced at the owners own expense. However, Titus further extends to the original purchaser a limited lifetime frame replacement policy whereby, for a fraction of retail price, the original purchaser may get a replacement frame in the event of a crash or frame failure. Replacement cost, model and color options are subject to the discretion of Titus.

Any comments or questions about service should be directed to:
TITUS CYCLES

1711 W. University Drive, Suite 157
Tempe, AZ 85281
480-894-8452
480-894-2770 (fax)
email: [email protected]

TITUS frames and components are built to the highest of standards of quality and durability in the bicycle industry. We stand behind our products and encourage you to wear a helmet, ride safe and have fun!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Biohazard74 said:
Most small companies don't offer lifetime warranties on their bikes. Even the large companies that do don't really do the entire bike but rather just the main frame, which rarely break from normal use. Most of the stays are only for a year or so.

Also, all you have to do is look at these boards and realize that Titus, like many of the other small companies, does a good job of taking care of their customers, if a problem does arise.

So my recommendation is not to worry about the warranty as much as the ride of the bike. The ML would be a great bike for your GF and is really one of the best deals out there right now. A made in the USA frame, less than 6lbs, for what some people are selling them for is an absolute steal!

·
Ultimated Outsider
570 Posts
I like the horst link but did not like the direction that Spec was going with it using the brain shock and that everyone had one. Saw an article on MBA about a custom built exo ML and I though that look like what I wanted. Found out that my LBS started to carry Titus and order a Ti ML, one of the last ones with the aluminun rear end. Have not look back since.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Why Titus, hard to say. My first FS bike was a FSR that I had modified with a BETD link and a Pushed shock. Liked the ride. Demoed a 2007 FSR, Iron Horse M3, and a Blur LT in addition to a ML. The overall ride of the ML suited me the best.

In reality, there are not a lot of people making light HL bikes out there, specialized or Titus. Titus makes a "snappier" feeling bike.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
My first FS bike was Stump Pro. After a few years of forgetting how to pick lines and letting the bike turn me into a lazy rider, I switched to a hardtail. In the meantime, my wife wanted a FS to replace her hardtail, so I found a good deal on a Racer-X. It was so light, and the frame was built so well, I figured I ought to get one. However, our local trails were quickly turning to crap and I thought I might benefit from more travel, so I picked up a Motolite II [I'm a Horst Link fan]. Three seasons later, I swapped it out for an El Guapo.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts