Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first set of wheels I had rim brakes, but my second set of wheels I went with the Disc brakes. Besides not having the extra money, are there reasons for not wanting disc brakes?

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
The only reason I can think of is that v's are heavier. When I changed over to my BB7's there was a noticeable difference, though they are a heavier set of brakes.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spcarter said:
The only reason I can think of is that v's are heavier. When I changed over to my BB7's there was a noticeable difference, though they are a heavier set of brakes.
How about if you're just biking recreational? Disc brakes are still a better bet?

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
If you are not going to be doing a lot of riding through wet areas, mud, etc. then you really don't need the disc brakes. A set of V-brakes with good pads also will perform just as good as a set of low-end discs unless you are going to be rolling through the wet and muddy areas. If you ride in a lot of dry areas you really don't have a need for them especially if you don't have the money to invest in them. They do look pretty sweet though...

·
Saskatchewan, Canada
66 Posts
My disks make noise when they get dusty and it's a bit annoying (Hayes Hydraulic STROKER TRAIL V6). They are also weigh more and are expensive.

They are really sweet, however, and the control is fantastic.

If I were buying a low end bike, disk brakes are the first thing I'd delete. I've found a decent set of v-brakes will work pretty much as well in most conditions.

In extreme use situations, like the mountains, disk brakes are a huge advantage.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ncfisherman said:
If you are not going to be doing a lot of riding through wet areas, mud, etc. then you really don't need the disc brakes. A set of V-brakes with good pads also will perform just as good as a set of low-end discs unless you are going to be rolling through the wet and muddy areas. If you ride in a lot of dry areas you really don't have a need for them especially if you don't have the money to invest in them. They do look pretty sweet though...
I hardly do any mud or wet areas, but I liked the option in case I did come across wet areas. Plus, isn't the stopping greater with Disc brakes?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
bwheelin said:
My first set of wheels I had rim brakes, but my second set of wheels I went with the Disc brakes. Besides not having the extra money, are there reasons for not wanting disc brakes?
Ahhh grasshopper most of the answers can be found here - http://www.mtbr.com/discbrakesfaqcrx.aspx

Disc's are generally more expensive and heavier than a set of V's. But they can give you better control, better adverse weather braking ability, and longer lasting wheels (your rim isn't your brake rotor and a structural part of the wheel at the same time...)

JmZ

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JmZ said:
Ahhh grasshopper most of the answers can be found here - http://www.mtbr.com/discbrakesfaqcrx.aspx

Disc's are generally more expensive and heavier than a set of V's. But they can give you better control, better adverse weather braking ability, and longer lasting wheels (your rim isn't your brake rotor and a structural part of the wheel at the same time...)

JmZ
Thanks for the info. I didn't know Disc brakes require less maintenance.

·
Registered
783 Posts
V's are annoying. Constant adjustment and forget about wet/mud. They are cheap though...

Hydro discs rock. Can be as light as V's, self-adjusting, only need pad replacement and the very occassional fluid replacment. Mucho power! Excellent feel and modulation, way better than anything in a V.

Mech discs are somewhat cheaper (though that's changing with the hydros on closeout) much heavier than any of the above, require constant pad spacing adjustment (which is a breeze only if you're sporting Avid BB7). Not as powerful as good hydros.

IMHO, get some hydros and forget the rest. Make sure of proper installation otherwise the leaks will drive one insane.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
my v's never needed adjustment.. my discs sure do though. i had avid sd7's before discs and i never had to touch them at all. tons of modulation, zero noise, for probably 80% of my riding it was more than enough power.. that 20% made me switch up to 8 inch discs though..

im almost 200lbs though, i needed more brake.. but still, the v's always stopped me, i was just getting hand fatigue. i have bb7's now and they're really not what they're cracked up to be. after you factor in a new rotor (the stock roundagons are junk), new cables, new housings, new lever.. you're right around the same price as a great hydro.

imo, either keep your v's or get some GOOD brakes. bb7's are too middle ground, getting them setup to work well costs too much.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
BB7's are not middle ground. Aren't they the yard stick to be measured by in the mechanical disc area.

I purchased a set of BB7's with the 185 rotors f/r for $120.00. Only took me 20 mins to install and setup initially. After break in, just a few seconds to fine tune the adjustment.

I ran V's for a long time, and I still have them on my hardtail. If the bike was equipped with disc brake bosses, it would have BB7's on them. Once V's get wet/muddy, they will not stop the bike at all. As long as they stay dry, they are fine.

Disc brakes on the other hand, perform well even when wet, just a little bit of noise on application.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Future proof

I noticed that more and more shocks and frames do not have v mounts on them anymore, so it looks like trend in the long run is to completely move away from v's. If at all possible get discs, the little weight penalty is worth is and discs will still work fine if you damage your rim on the trail, whereas v's not. Also discs dont clog up as much with mud as v's do, The initial cost is high but worth it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OutThere said:
I noticed that more and more shocks and frames do not have v mounts on them anymore, so it looks like trend in the long run is to completely move away from v's. If at all possible get discs, the little weight penalty is worth is and discs will still work fine if you damage your rim on the trail, whereas v's not. Also discs dont clog up as much with mud as v's do, The initial cost is high but worth it.
I have disc brakes, but I'm not sure why I got them. I don't ride downhill, and I don't ride in the mud.

·
knock-knock...
577 Posts
disc brakes: noisier most of the time, and heavier most of the time
also give you much better modulation, a wider variety of conditions you can ride in,
vbrakes are basically lighter. its about a horse apiece as far as maintenance goes for me, i would always have to adjust my rim brakes, and bb7s require adjusting alot too. probably from being banged around. personally, i think either are fine. i prefer the discs for the greater distance from the ground and modulation, but if you are going to get a nice pair of vbrakes or a pair of some mechs like tektro or promax, go for the vbrakes. never run anything with the name tektro on it. pure garbage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have XTR V-brakes and love them even in mud or wet they stop great and i am not light person either... i switched bike with my buddy, he has discs on his specialized and i was not impressed and they made noise and didnt like the feel of them... i thought about discs, but my XTR's have never let me down

·
exacerbated member
241 Posts
I will not dispute the fact that having a front disk is warranted under some conditions; hell I have a disk on the front of my DH bike.

But I don’t leave the house every day with my clown shoes on.

·
Registered
751 Posts
if you knock your rim out of true, it won't affect disc brake as much as rim brake.

switching to disc brakes allowed me to push myself faster and harder than i ever would have on rim brakes. i always like to stay at a speed i can control, and with stronger brakes and better modulation i was able to gain a LOT of control.

·
Registered
812 Posts
can get nice lightweight non-disc wheels really cheap

I use disc brakes, but one benefit of v-brakes is lightweight used wheelsets for v-brakes are significantly cheaper than for disc brakes (mostly because everyone has disc brakes and the market for v-brake only wheels is a lot smaller).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Disc brakes are here to stay

Ain't it funny how things change over time, years ago when disc brakes were just emerging at my LBS, they said "oh, you don't need disc brakes in Texas, that's for downhill bikes in Colorado". Recently shopped and purchased a new bike at the same LBS, and the salesperson said "oh, v-brakes are so inferior, you gotta have discs". Anyway, I like the discs just fine (BB-5's) and they do seem better (less grip required to operate them). But if your gettin / buildin a new bike, don't forget that many of the new rims and shocks don't accomodate v-brakes. I am afraid the salesperson gets the final say on this one, discs are the future and v-brakes appear to be on the decline. So, just give in to the new direction and spend more time and energy thinkin about whether to get a29er, FS, and shock choices - the more experienced I get with the sport, the less I rely on brakes anyway (at least on little old Texas trails).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.