Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am 42 y/o, 6-2, and dropping from 185 right now to 175-180 by the start of the season. I was 200 at this time last year. I plan to race sport class in 8 or so WORS races. My goals are continued improvement of my fitness and speed but mid pack results are OK by me. Most of the riding will be on a road bike with MTBing as often as husband and father life allows.

I am riding indoors only at the moment on a Cyclops Fluid trainer and "Coach Troy" Spinervals DVD's. I really need these on the trainer if I am to ride more than 20-30 minutes at a time. I have never measured for actual max HR or LT or anything like that but do use a HR just to keep it down on base days.

Does this sound like a reasonable unscientific training pattern for the upcoming WORS series done 4-5 days / week? (at 5:15 am most days:madman: )

Base building DVD's through the first week of Feb. 5-6 hours/week. HR under 140

Next 3 weeks doing an interval DVD (45 mins) 1-2 days/week along with the base on the other days.

First week of March, rest by snowboarding in Park City. Then interval DVD's 2-3 days per week in March with base on the other days.

Base only 1st week of April then 3 interval DVD's and outside riding where I can throw in some sprint, interval and/or strength type stuff in those rides and then let the season flow. Sound reasonable?

Any suggestions to add?
Thanks
Greg

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Cedarburg, eh?

Your plan doesn't look too bad for what you are shooting for, except for the length of your base. Are you onnly doing a couple weeks of base, or have you been doing base for a while already? Make sure to include longer rides throughout your plan, not just during the "base" period. Can you bundle up and do some base work outside too?
The races in WI are more like intense short track races (correct?), you don't have long sustained climbs like other areas. Make sure you train for that type, short intervals with incomplete rest would be great once you got it going a bit. Something like one minute on, 30 sec rest, repeat. I don't know what the interval DVD's are like, but if they are like spin classes I have done I would find intervals that mimic your races. You can always pop on some music and a ball game to keep your mind off of the fact that you are about to throw up....:thumbsup:
Does that make sense? There are MANY threads on here, and the archived mtbr stuff, that will give you plenty of ideas for appropriate intervals.
I'm from Sheboygan-home of a couple of XC studs from what I hear.
FA

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Greg,

I race WORS as well and raced comp last year and plan to race expert this year. I have done one sport race before and seen the sport class. I think what you have is pretty good. I would say when it does get warm out, plan to ride at least 3 times a week. I would say twice during the week for about 2 hours per day and on a weekend of 3-4 hours.

As you probably already know, IMO sport class as the widest range of fitness and skill. The top guys know what they're doing and the bottom group probably belong in the citizen class. I think the key for sport is to beat everyone to the singletrack so you don't get caught in the bottleneck which will cost lots of time. So practice sprinting when you train. It is also very very important to fully warm if you want to start out hard.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Good point.

fanghasyou said:
Greg,

I race WORS as well and raced comp last year and plan to race expert this year. I have done one sport race before and seen the sport class. I think what you have is pretty good. I would say when it does get warm out, plan to ride at least 3 times a week. I would say twice during the week for about 2 hours per day and on a weekend of 3-4 hours.

As you probably already know, IMO sport class as the widest range of fitness and skill. The top guys know what they're doing and the bottom group probably belong in the citizen class. I think the key for sport is to beat everyone to the singletrack so you don't get caught in the bottleneck which will cost lots of time. So practice sprinting when you train. It is also very very important to fully warm if you want to start out hard.
I have an uncle that racesd WORS and he talked about the starts, and needing to get to the ST first due to the class size. My advice to him was to take his trainer to the races for warm-up, do 5 sets of 1 min all out, with aminute or two of rest between. Do some hard effort as as close to the race as possible, and get that crappy feeling out of the way before the race. It may seem counterproductive to tire your legs a bit before the race, but it will help immensely. Also, the incomplete rest intervals will help with the sprint starts and keeping it going for the times immediately after the start, not to mention passing.:thumbsup:

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yater said:
Are your base days only 20-30 minutes??
Right now, 3 weekday mornings at about 50-70 minutes each morning. Trying to get in 75-90 minutes on both Sat and Sunday.

Once I get outside on weekends, one of the days will be anywhere from 2-4 hours,

Spinerval "interval" days will be about 45 minutes each. Those will be on weekdays.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
good

this looks pretty good. i would just make a few comments. the season is long and many guys start going way too hard, way too early. make sure you build up a lot of base. then i would also limit intervals to only 2 times per week. also make sure you are taking rest weeks. have a goal for each workout, (today is power, or endurance etc). also think QUALITY, not just quantity. sometimes the best workout is staying in bed or playing with the kids if your head and heart is not completely into it that day.

one more thing. regarding your goal of finishing mid pack... the guys who win or place in the top 5 do it with fitness, skill but even more important ATTITUDE. they are willing to HURT more to win. tell yourself you are top 5 finisher, train like it, think like it, HURT like it when racing and sooner than later, you will be it.

good luck and keep it fun.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

kevbikemad said:
this looks pretty good. i would just make a few comments. the season is long and many guys start going way too hard, way too early. make sure you build up a lot of base. then i would also limit intervals to only 2 times per week. also make sure you are taking rest weeks. have a goal for each workout, (today is power, or endurance etc). also think QUALITY, not just quantity. sometimes the best workout is staying in bed or playing with the kids if your head and heart is not completely into it that day.

one more thing. regarding your goal of finishing mid pack... the guys who win or place in the top 5 do it with fitness, skill but even more important ATTITUDE. they are willing to HURT more to win. tell yourself you are top 5 finisher, train like it, think like it, HURT like it when racing and sooner than later, you will be it.

good luck and keep it fun.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will do the intervals then probably 2x week. Once as part of my weekday morning and once as part of a weekend ride. I can make it fun that way.

Specific goals for each work out is a good idea too. I think I can do that fun by changing up rides with a singlespeed day, or an accelerate out of the corner day, climb in a big gear day, climb in a small gear days etc.

No staying in bed workouts for me. My kids would not allow that:nono: But they do love play / wrestle days!

Thanks
G

·
Registered
791 Posts
+1 on the warm up. I see most guys doing slow laps around the parking lot before the race. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have to get that first uncomfortable (gutbuster) effort out of the way before I'm ready to go. After that, I'm on the plateau and can go for hours.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I was sport class mid pack fodder for several years till I really started gunning it from the start (expert now)......

Going into the single track in say the top 3-5 is key (sprints and interval type work)..at least in my region...the kicker is ..you have to keep that tempo high for a while and still stay fresh enough to finish and or hold the lead

Also I agree with some of the others in that, I do at least 5 miles of warmup with a couple hard sprints before each race....

Other than that your training plan is quite good....in my experience and observations you are doing much more training than the "common" sport class individual and should come out strong this year :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.