Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS has an '05 GF Paragon 29" sitting on the floor for about $1400.....its a beautiful bike, but I think the price is REALLY high for a 2 year old leftover.....what do you think would be a reasonable cash amount to offer to try and get it??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just for reference, I bought a new '07 GF Paragon for $1395. (reduced from about $1700) last summer; no bargaining or anything...that was just the sticker price on the floor in a heavily-trafficked bike shop in Santa Fe, NM.

I know very little about the pricing of new/old bike models, dealer profit margins and the like, but I would imagine your LBS would discount this bike significantly. I often wonder how some shops sell anything at the prices they ask (no discounts) for certain bikes. From what I know about selling things in general, it's usually best to move the merchandise quick (even at a loss) than have it sitting collecting dust on the showroom floor. Lately, I've seen some remarkable discounts in several local bike shops on 26" MTBs, not so much on the more rare 29" bikes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
06 for same price

I paid the same thing for an 06 back in Dec., I think if they want to get rid of it quick they need to come down some more.

By the way does anybody know what options a LBS has when the inventory just does not move? Can they send it back to the mfg. or does it just sit and collect dust?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Once the bikes are paid for by the shop the bikes are theirs. You can't send back old inventory. Most shops will slowly bring the price down until it moves. Obviously there is a limit as to how low they can go before they take a loss on it.

·
Master of the Obvious
497 Posts
Dude, it all depends on what bikes are hot in your neck of the woods, 29ers are big sellers so if I had a 05' it would be on sale but definitley not at a grand cash! And rembember you might be looking for a good deal ,but the shop is looking for a profit, that is how commerce works. If the store doesn't feel like lowering it's price to suit you, your not obligated to buy there. Make him an offer, and be prepared to make the deal right then no delay, nothing chaps my hide when some one comes in lowballs on a bike, we agree to their price, and then they got think about it. If you want the best price have CASH (not debit card or check)
and be ready to part with it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
sop said:
Just for reference, I bought a new '07 GF Paragon for $1395. (reduced from about $1700) last summer; no bargaining or anything...that was just the sticker price on the floor in a heavily-trafficked bike shop in Santa Fe, NM.

I know very little about the pricing of new/old bike models, dealer profit margins and the like, but I would imagine your LBS would discount this bike significantly. I often wonder how some shops sell anything at the prices they ask (no discounts) for certain bikes. From what I know about selling things in general, it's usually best to move the merchandise quick (even at a loss) than have it sitting collecting dust on the showroom floor. Lately, I've seen some remarkable discounts in several local bike shops on 26" MTBs, not so much on the more rare 29" bikes.
Mind giving me the name of your shop. Ill buy one at that price and ship it.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
response to previous post...

Sorry I could not respond sooner...I've been out all day and did not check my email till a few minutes ago.

The Bike shop: Bike N Sport, 524 West Cordova, Suite C
(in the Coronado Mall with Trader Joe's)
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-820-0809

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.