Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from a 26" world where my EBB Dean has as much as 13" of BB height. The Zion I have is sitting closer to 12" (EBB @ 11:00). I hit my pedals quite a few times, but partially because I was concentrating a lot on how the bike rode, cockpit, and "feel".
Is that a reasonable height? Can I go higher with a custom? Would I want to bother?
I don't want my cranks to be shorter than 175mm.
I don't want to add a taller fork (Niner), and change the handling. The Zion is already slack at 71 deg.

·
Registered
599 Posts
teamdicky said:
I come from a 26" world where my EBB Dean has as much as 13" of BB height. The Zion I have is sitting closer to 12" (EBB @ 11:00). I hit my pedals quite a few times, but partially because I was concentrating a lot on how the bike rode, cockpit, and "feel".
Is that a reasonable height? Can I go higher with a custom? Would I want to bother?
I don't want to add a taller fork (Niner), and change the handling. The Zion is already slack at 71 deg.
12" is pretty average - personally I prefer lower as I live for the downhills and a lower bb aids in handling and reduces the chances of being flung over the bars.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
crankpuller said:
12" is pretty average - personally I prefer lower as I live for the downhills and a lower bb aids in handling and reduces the chances of being flung over the bars.
I'm with you. I keep my EBB in the lower position as I believe keeping low is a real handling benefit. If your not hitting your cranks once and awhile their too high.

Just guessing by Padre's height he probably runs longer cranks with that higher bottom bracket giving back a bit of the effective bb height. Padre?

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Padre said:
I spec'd my Quiring and DeSalvo at 13" also.
Both builder said..." are you sure you want that?"

I hate pedal strikes also.

I haven't noticed any lack of stability at speed either.

I hate pedal strikes.
Ah, but yer a big felller arn cha?

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a problem with the steep stuff and a higher BB.
I am a moron who likes to keep my saddle all the way up and suffer like a man.
The short stem is how I keep my weight back.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
I find 12" excessively low for where and how I ride (AZ). I live for the tricky, rocky climbs where the clearance is a must.

Comandante is at 13" with EBB in upper position, Zion is a little over 12" in the same upper position.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I get a lot of pedal strikes on both my Niners. My pedals look like they have been chewed on by the Pedal Monster ... :D

However, I have adjusted my riding style somewhat to allow for this and it really doesn't bother me too much at all any more.

Is it going to be a big factor in your riding? I realise you race and that it could be a factor, but it may be that after a short time you will adjust your style a bit to allow for it???

What do you think?

R.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
TD, I'm with you on the BB height thing. I'm 5'7" and run 175mm cranks, but both my Vulture (in its current EBB position) and my Leviathan are just shy of 13" in pre-sagged BB height. And that's just how I like it. They both handle quite well (the Vulture as quickly as I'd ever want an MTB to handle) and I rarely get pedal strikes in most terrain. If anything, I still bash the Lev's pedals (and bashring) more than I'd like. Prior to those bikes my Karate Monkey was my primary MTB, and I hated the 11.8"-ish BB height, smashing the pedals on stuff left and right.

Ultimately, it's personal preference. Some (like me) prefer the clearance and don't mind the extra height or standover, and some prefer the handling of a lower center of gravity.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Here's my take, My Niner is too low. I had to keep it rotated up to avoid strikes. I pulled my previous builds and found 12.1 with the ebb at it lowest point. That would mean about 13 in the up. I'm wisping the Zion pedals in the corners and soon or later it's going to send me flyin. I would have to say 12.5 on a fixed bb would be reasonable especially if you had a rigid fork

·
hispanic mechanic
2,701 Posts
I like mine pretty high...

On my Wily, the BB is hovering around 12.8" with a fixed BB.
Of course, since it's fixed, that really is kinda necessary, even with the 170mm cranks I use.
I wouldn't consider 13" unreasonable.

Los

·
( )
755 Posts
Speaking for me, I'm not convinced that 1" is really going to make a big difference in terms of pedal strikes. In a very rocky section of trail, I can't really judge the heights of all the rocks and feel confident about spinning madly through it. Lots of rocks means lots of different height rocks. I ride a KM with 180mm cranks. I get pedal strikes, but in certain sections of trail I can see that pedal strikes are more likely to occur, and I anticipate them so if they do happen it's not disastrous. I'm not exactly flying through these sections anyway, and for the most part neither are my buddies with their 5X5 specialized and ellsworths.

I just waiting on a stem for my new bike before I can ride it. Even with little kenda klaws on it It has a bb height an inch higher than the KM and I'm using 175 cranks, so there's more clearance. Maybe after spending some time on it I'll find it's worlds better in terms of pedal strikes and i'll eat my words.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
teamdicky said:
I am a high BB guy, too. 12.5"-13.5" is great. 12" is as low as I will go. All rigid/hailtails, wheel size does does not make a difference.

Very, very few stock frames are higher than 12-12.25".

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
steevo said:
Speaking for me, I'm not convinced that 1" is really going to make a big difference in terms of pedal strikes.
1" may not seem like much, but think of it this way: at the bottom of the stroke (which is where most pedal strikes occur), your pedal is 20% higher off the ground with a 13" BB than it is with a 12" BB. Then think of all the yakking we do on this board about a mere 10% difference in wheelsize.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
GlowBoy said:
1" may not seem like much, but think of it this way: at the bottom of the stroke (which is where most pedal strikes occur), your pedal is 20% higher off the ground with a 13" BB than it is with a 12" BB. Then think of all the yakking we do on this board about a mere 10% difference in wheelsize.
Yea, most people would be amazed how many times their cranks come withing a millimeter of striking. 1" of difference is HUGE.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
I'm with you. I keep my EBB in the lower position as I believe keeping low is a real handling benefit. If your not hitting your cranks once and awhile their too high.

Just guessing by Padre's height he probably runs longer cranks with that higher bottom bracket giving back a bit of the effective bb height. Padre?
Yes.. but my cranks are "only" 182mm on my SS and 180mm on my other rides.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
teamdicky,
My bike is full rigid single and I ride endurance stuff as well and stand at 5'7", that said my bike has a 14" BB height and I have never ridden a bike nearly as comfortable.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.