Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My e2e length is 7" (on the spesh website).
If I want to change my rear shock do i need a 190mm or an 165mm shock length?
and does it mather what kind of shock it is? for example can i put in a Manitou metel RPA shock?
( btw my bike is an fsr xc 2007 )
thanks

·
Read Only
3,005 Posts
The make of shock should not matter.

You need to make sure that there is no interference if you put a longer, or shorter shock on your bike. Maybe you can email Spec. and see if they can recommend additional sizes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
It is usually better to stay with....

what the manufacturer speced on the bike. If you have a 7 inch i to i then try to stick with it. The spec for the FSR XC is 7.0 X 1.6. The problems arise when you change those dimensions Going to a 7.5 i to i will change not only the ride geometry of the bike, it will also change the geometry of the suspension, i.e. the way the various components, linkage, seat stays, chainstays, etc. relate to each other. This can change the way the suspension performs in negative ways. Go shorter and you can run into clearance issues as well. mopartodd has the best idea, contact Specialized and see what options are availalbe to you. For the most part the brand of shock won't make a difference as long as the manufacturer you chose has something in the size that you need. Unfortunately Specialized through the years has used some pretty odball and proprietary sizes of shocks for their bikes. It keeps compression ratios for a given travel in check, but the non-standard i to i lengths and stokes make it hard to swap to something different in many cases.

Good Dirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.