Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 scalpel 2000 with less than 150 miles on it ,got it just before winter and are trails are just know rideable. Out riding to day notice some noise cant figure out where from, stand up to climb a hill and my tire starts rubing on my stays, Get off to check it out almost every spoke is loose. These are 819 mavics. Any one else ever have this happen?,I never have, Can the wheel ever be trusted again after retentioning? I have be out of riding for a long time last bike was a fully ridgid s works if that dates me at all. I use to race alot and never had this happen before. we would get our road wheel s retentioned before a races, but did little with our mountain wheels. I asked the shop when i bought it if I should bring it in after a few rides to check out the wheels he said that i didnt need to do that. with the way wheels are built now they are good to go . Apperently not . my front wheel is great but the back wheel i can move from side to side with my hand. So what do you think will the wheel be ok if fixed or should I demand a new wheel? I have not abused these wheels at all.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
will the wheel be ok if fixed or should I demand a new wheel? I have not abused these wheels at all.[/QUOTE]You don't need a new wheel, especially if you have not abused it. Just have a good wheel builder re-tension it for you, then put some DT spoke freeze on them, ands you will be fine. The DT stuff is different than other spoke lock products, in that it does not lock the spokes, just holds them gently in place, and it is applied after building, to the top of the nipple, where the spoke enters it. It prevents loosening, but allows trueing without having to break the loctite bond, thus sending shockwaves through the whole wheel, and stressing everything out. You get several trueings before it loses effectiveness, then just reapply. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.