Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter how tight I close the skewer the rear wheel gets cocked in the dropouts while riding. Recently changed to Mavic Crosslands and maybe its just a bum skewer. Any suggestions or just I just try another skewer (XTR, Salsa, or something....)?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Buy any Shimano skewer Deore level or up and it will hold for sure. They have about the best clamping force you can get, easy to close, cheap, has a nice over-center feel when closing, and the cam profile does not push the wheel out of the drop-out while closing the skewer.

A lot of the expensive skewers have a bad cam profile which causes the wheel to be pushed out of the drop-out when closing the skewer. This is due to how the face of the follower nut on the skewer does not stay parallel to the drop-out when clsoing the skewer.

I have one bike, KHS Montana Comp, where the drop-outs are vertical with a slight forward angling. I have to tighten the skewer as tight as possible to keep the rear wheel in place on this bike.

What do your drop-outs look like?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is a Specialized Stumpjumper about 8 years old. The dropouts have a good forward angle to them. I guess the biggest clue is I never had this problem before going to the Crosslands, although they seemed to fine for the first year. I may have a skewer from the original wheels that I can give a try on the next ride.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Frame?

Have the frame checked for dropout alignment. The LBS has a set of tools for checking frame alignment.

Has the bike been through a big wreck?

After a dropout check, get a solid Shimano LX or XT QR.

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
Check the end nut on the axle

My recommendation will be as follows
1. Change the skewer
2. Check the hex End nut on the axle/hub, it usualy has one side smooth and the outside should have some uneven ribbed surface so it does not slip, sometimes it is installed the wrong way or does not have the ribs.
I am not sure if Crossland has a ribbed hex end nut though, Shimano and Bontrager do. If not you can get one from your LBS
see picture below<V:p

Attachments

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
DMR For Life said:
a bit OT here but what make is that hub thats in your attachment..looks like my unknowns on my bike
DMR
it is bontrager select hub but I found that generic shimano hub looks the same.You can download whole manual from their website www.bontrager.com. I used that as illustartion for end nut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.