Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit to being thoroughly confused on this one...for mountain bike's optimal performance (traction over speed) in rocky areas. I have a Michelin XL S UST which I'm using for the rear.. the directional arrow on the outer rim indicates that the tire is mounted in direction of rotation. It implies that the center knob which has a sloped edge should be the leading edge...this seems to be counter intuitive to demands of traction over resistance...any pros out there who understand setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
surfkayakers said:
I'll admit to being thoroughly confused on this one...for mountain bike's optimal performance (traction over speed) in rocky areas. I have a Michelin XL S UST which I'm using for the rear.. the directional arrow on the outer rim indicates that the tire is mounted in direction of rotation. It implies that the center knob which has a sloped edge should be the leading edge...this seems to be counter intuitive to demands of traction over resistance...any pros out there who understand setup?
I'm no pro, but...

Most tires, when mounted on the rear in the direction that the arrows indicate, will offer optimum climbing traction, and lower rolling resistance (sloped edge forward). If you are looking for more braking traction, flip 'em the other way (sloped edge rearward). Running them opposite of suggested will comprimise climbing performance. If you want traction for climbing AND braking, switch to a tire with non-directional tread.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
surfkayakers said:
I tend to prefer rear tire in the "front" direction for better cornering and braking. I have used the XL S for years and like it very much in the rocks. It climbs well both ways and - for me - descends better in the "front" rotation.

You really need to try it both ways and decide which you prefer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts