Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new rear wheel for my stp. So far I have a nashbar ss hub and a sun mammoth rim. I am going to take it to a lbs to get it built and am wondering what kind of spokes, nipples and lacing you would recemend. I have been just getting into jumping and I am not very smooth yet and I weigh 180, so I would like to have a strong wheel. Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
812 Posts
MTNDG said:
I am building a new rear wheel for my stp. So far I have a nashbar ss hub and a sun mammoth rim. I am going to take it to a lbs to get it built and am wondering what kind of spokes, nipples and lacing you would recemend. I have been just getting into jumping and I am not very smooth yet and I weigh 180, so I would like to have a strong wheel. Thanks for any replies
not knowing much about building wheels, I'd just go and tell my lbs take care of it, they'll know what to do. But thats just me,

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
3 cross, brass nips (heavier than alu, but will go longer stronger without constant tuning), and I'd say go for the few extra bucks for the DT Competition 2/1.8/2 butted spokes. but straight guage will get the job done, served me well just fine, but not only will the butted ones be lighter, but apparantly they build a stronger wheel as well.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
I'm not sure I would go with either of those for a wheel build. If you can change I would suggest a Pre-built AtomLab TrailPimp wheel set, they are bomb proof. If you want to build a wheel set up, an AtomLab TrailPimp rim, with torx nipples laced to a Funn Bullet rear hub would be pretty nice. You also might want to look at Hope or Hadley hubs.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Vinny A said:
I'm not sure I would go with either of those for a wheel build. If you can change I would suggest a Pre-built AtomLab TrailPimp wheel set, they are bomb proof. If you want to build a wheel set up, an AtomLab TrailPimp rim, with torx nipples laced to a Funn Bullet rear hub would be pretty nice. You also might want to look at Hope or Hadley hubs.
he's already got the parts... factory/mass built wheels are not going to be on the same level as hand-built wheels. If you do buy factory built wheels, you should always take the time and care to retension them by hand... TrailPimps are no longer made and don't accept torque nipples. I think you are referring to just the "Pimp".
I'd agree, torque nips are sweet, but not worth dropping what he's got.
He has a proven bmx profile rim that is solid, and an SS disc cassette hub that can take Odyssey 1 pc drivers, what more can you ask? I'm not sure what that Funn SS has to offer at this point... and Hope is a 6spder, and Hadley a 3 i think, no microdrive or 1pc drivers there, not to mention worth more than a wheel really should be for street/dj.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
My bad about the Pimps. I still call them Trail Pimps because I think its a sweet name. I guess I need to stop if I want to get the point across.

And you're right about the wheels he is building. I'm just being an elitist d!ck right now. :madman:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
3 cross, brass nips (heavier than alu, but will go longer stronger without constant tuning), and I'd say go for the few extra bucks for the DT Competition 2/1.8/2 butted spokes. but straight guage will get the job done, served me well just fine, but not only will the butted ones be lighter, but apparantly they build a stronger wheel as well.
+1

umm ok, +1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.