Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experience over the years is that I've had many more rear pinch flats than front. This is inspite of running a couple of more PTI in the rear.

Is your experience similar?

Could one conclude that it is generally OK to run quite a bit less PSI in the front than the rear with out a significant increased risk of front pinch flats?

Thanks for any responses.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
That's my general experience, too. I also found running wider rims and larger volume tires have nearly eliminated pinch flats. As you can finesse better as you ride more, I find that pinch flats also are reduced especially for the rear, front's never been much of a problem for me with a suspension fork.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I've managed to not get any pinch flats for the past 2-3 years (quite odd I think)... I don't think that I'm doing anything completely different from ya'll--probably has something to do with the terrain (no huge rock gardens out here, but tons of roots). However, I can see how the rear would get more pinch flats--the rear wheel carries a greater share of your body weight over the front. Combine that with the pedaling forces, (tire flex, etc.) then it makes the rear a little more prone to the pinch flats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.