Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride today and while I was on the road I got surprised by cars coming up from behind. How hard would I be laughed at if I mounted a small mirror on my bar end?
I have seen some small ones that mounted in the bar and fold out of the way.
I will be riding on streets on occasion so I thought it might be a good idea? Thanks! Aaron

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
If you think it will benefit you by all means put one on. Doesn't matter what it looks like so long as you feel safer if using it. Go for it! If you check out the commuter section a few do have them on there, it's all about what you feel comfortable with using.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
Always have one on my street/commuter bike. The Blackburn is easy to take off and folds too. I like the mirror larger rather than smaller, once you go geek, go all the way :thumbsup:

·
B A N N E D
5,364 Posts
How hard would I be laughed at if I mounted a small mirror on my bar end?
Too many people worry about what others think of them, a mirror would probably be a good idea if your riding a lot on the road.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I will get one on it's way! Another reason I want one is sometimes it's hard to turn my neck from an injury. Cars can be pretty quite these days, I've been snuck up on several times.
Thanks!! Aaron

·
Registered
189 Posts
I prefer the sunglass mounted mirror, but both types work well. BTW most thought helmets were geeky not so many years back. embrace your geekiness and consider it a higher step on the evolutionary ladder.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A mirror will work fine till a car knocks it off. Then you know a car has come too close.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Make your own mirrors like I've been doing for decades. The closer to the eye the mirror is, the smaller it can be. Mine is about 3/8" square. The smaller they are, the less geeky they are.

I get women to give me their old "powder compacts" and I remove the very thin mirror stock from them. I use old stainless spokes for the wire. Epoxy joins it all together (and makes the glass edges safe) and a coat of flat black paint makes the mirror more inconspicous. The one here got painted camo but that was changed.

My mirrors are much smaller than you would imagine; I can see from ditch to ditch on the road and almost no-one has a clue what they are. I wouldn't ride a mile without one.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts