Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in search of an elegant solution.

I'm building up an older ('97 I think) Trek 930 frame and I'm going to use V-Brakes. The cable guide for the rear brake is a curved tube which bends around the seat tube. The cable exits this tube on center, which is ideal for cantis but no good for v-brakes.

I can run housing from the front braze-on all the way to the noodle and zip-tie it to the top tube, but I think it would look crappy, and probably flop around.

My LBS sold me a Tektro Housing Stop Adapter, which would have been the ideal solution, except it is way too big for the tubes on this steel frame.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to try to put v-brakes on an older steel frame. Anyone out there already solve this one?

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
stupidgringo said:
I'm in search of an elegant solution.

I'm building up an older ('97 I think) Trek 930 frame and I'm going to use V-Brakes. The cable guide for the rear brake is a curved tube which bends around the seat tube. The cable exits this tube on center, which is ideal for cantis but no good for v-brakes.

I can run housing from the front braze-on all the way to the noodle and zip-tie it to the top tube, but I think it would look crappy, and probably flop around.

My LBS sold me a Tektro Housing Stop Adapter, which would have been the ideal solution, except it is way too big for the tubes on this steel frame.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to try to put v-brakes on an older steel frame. Anyone out there already solve this one?

Thanks.

Ron
There is a clamp on adaptor that works with the small diameter tubes of steel frames. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer but I will try and take a picture. Have you talked to a local bike shop, it might be in the Quality catalog. They work well. the only other option is have a frame builder or someone who torches to tack on a cable guide 4 you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know it's funny you posted that link.

I found that site and was thinking about ordering from them. Each time I put something in my cart, other items would magically appear there, too. Once I got the cart cleared of items I did not want, I clicked proceed to checkout, and my items were gone - replaced by several other items I had not selected.... Not too comforting. If I decide to go that route, I'll call to place the order.

To answer your question, the only size my LBS had was 1 3/8". I would need 1 1/8" or even smaller.

I left a message with a local frame builder about welding a real cable stop on for me. Anyone know how much paint would have to be removed to do this?

Thanks for your replies.

Ron

·
Registered
383 Posts
You bike is steel and should use the 1 1/8" cable stop. I did this once on a '96 Trek 930 that I had and it worked well. One issue that I had was getting the cable stop on and not interfere with the top mounted shifting cables. I would not weld anything to the frame. Either use the cable stop or run the full length housing.

PS I just did a "trial" order on the site and it works fine. Might be your browser getting a little flakey- have you tried deleting all the stored cookies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts