Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought i'd share the mudguard i've made for my anthem and reign. It fills the gap in the rear triangle where the tyre chucks mud all over the pivots and front mech. it does a great job and mech and pivots barely need a clean whereas the rest of the bike is plastered!

it's made of the thick but flexible plastic that washing liquid bottles are made of.

here it is on the Anthem:

here is the latest version on the Reign,I'm still fine tuning it - this version includes a flap to keep flying mud off the mech cage and is made of thin plastic as its easier to cut for prototypes- not recomended for final versions as the zipties pull through it easily. you can see also a Specialized Enduro shock guard above the seat stays - fits well but facing opposite direction to on the Enduro.

and here is the template for the current Reign mudguard, use a holepunch and then fix it on with zipties.

you may need to zoom the pic before printing to ensure the marked line is 10cm long.

enjoy!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Very very good idea. I'm going to fab one up for my Anthem so I can throw it on for mud races. A welcome addition to the toolbox.
Thanks!!
Ben

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Also, when ever I put any kind of zip tie or anything on the frame I first do a wrap of electrical tape. I do this for cyclometers, tail lights, number plates, cable rub spots........keeps the bike brand new looking and the tape seems to last forever once you install it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll try and get it today - need to remove the guard,also this one uses the shaped bottom of a bottle as you can see under the chainstay brace, so harder to trace out but will have a go. i havent got around to fitting a stumpjumper guard above the brace either yet oops.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Just sharing... How 'bout my own homegrown mudguard¿?¿ Put a li'l twist to that -- voila! A Lay Stax + Grunge guard Lizard skin combo. It does the job well for me alone...

Originally, I have done this long ago with my NRS3 but with some mods like a folder fastener & rubber thingy I got from my rear derailleur acting as a minuscule 'belt' & 'pillar' system (encircled yellow).

'belt'

'pillar'

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks! Got inspiration from foureyes photos, had to make a try. :)

I'm from Sweden, it's been a very mild vinter so far, don't know what's worse, the cold or the mud. Would have been nice with some slight cold weather so the trails froze a bit..

Thankfully it's not paint, just adhesive plastic film, expensie too, atleast $5 for four large sheets! ;) Will last for three more frames if it's torn off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice clean mech and pivots there 42hz, nice to see it working :) chickened out of tonights ride as its so damn windy, i think rain and mud are fine, but wind? i hate it! makes the trees even more spooky!

·
Registered
177 Posts
thanks foureyes, not so clean after the ride though. Did a overhaul of the bike and took the moment to clean the frame when it was almoste stipped of parts, so much easier then! =)

Was a bit windy last night but it's ok now, imagine you get your share of mud in UK. :)

Went to Luton 1997 for the Tribal Gathering, it's not so far from Leeds? As far as I remember the countryside looked alluring for some MTB:ing. :)

·
May contain nuts
2,370 Posts
Warning: excessive detail

Inspired by Foureyes, and since I had the rear triangle off to fit new bearings, I made my own version. This is the story of my mudguard. (You might be able to tell it's filthy weather outside and I've not got much to do..) :p

Had previously used an old tube cut open and zip-tied to the struts, but I was looking for something better. Found the perfect material: 1.4mm polypropylene from an A4 ring-binder. Stiff but compliant enough. (If you want to add more guard above the top-brace a foolscape folder would be better).

Thanks to the enormous wheel clearance on the Reign, the guard fits sweetly on the wheel-side of the braces with at least 12mm smallest gap on a 2.3 tyre.

The scanned pic of the guard has cut off the top 20mm, as it was longer than my scanner bed. The scanned image is 300mm long, guard is 320mm. You could extend the top of the guard by another 20-40mm if you want even more protection for the rear bearings.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Haggis try this when you reassemble the rear onto the main triangle. INstall the rockers onto the seattube and install the spacer/brace in the middle of the rockers. Then install the bottom rocker link to the rear triangle. THen bring the rear triangle up to the rockers and see how it fits and how much clearance if any there is between the rockers and bushings for the smaller top bearing in the rear triangle. Then also check how much clearance there is between the front of the rocker and the top of the shock bushings.

I'm betting that you will find that if you assemble the rear this way there is a lot of clearance and this will explain why the main rocker bearings die. I have been having a creak that's been annoying the crap out of me so I dissasembled the whole suspension and did this and was truly amazed. I found that I had about 1.5-2mm clearance between both the shock / rockers and rear triangle / rockers and am now in the process of having custom bushings made for it. I believe when you tighten the rear triangle onto the rockers you pull the rear of the rockers out (since the aluminium construction of the rear triangle is so much stronger than the rockers) forcing the bearings to run at a slight forward angle.

Might just be my Trance, but I suspect production isn't 100% on what came from the designers to the fab plant.

Haggis said:
.............. and since I had the rear triangle off to fit new bearings............

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haggis - the perfect material! comes in a variety of colours too, nice one. will be updating mine soon to get more overhang on the chain side and will use the new preferred plastic :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration, It was really bugging me how after any muddy sort of ride alot would accumulate at the rear pivot area, sometimes even rocks which I imagine could hamper the suspension performance if they got decently wedged in there.
Anyway I made something similar for mine - pretty quick job and used very flexible plastic off the front of one of those clear sheet type display folders. Turned out similar to what Haggis did but without all the flare outs - mine is only wide enough to do the job (tapers in width, slightly narrower at the bottom widening gradually to the top, and doesn't go past the top brace that it's tied to. Hopefully will post a pic at a later date.

·
May contain nuts
2,370 Posts
Haggis said:
. The scanned image is 300mm long, guard is 320mm. You could extend the top of the guard by another 20-40mm if you want even more protection for the rear bearings...
After todays DH runs: guard needs another 30mm to cover the top bearings. So 350mm would be better...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts