Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what sag you guys are running on your rear shocks...in all travel modes ?
I run 9mm on my 4.5" link (as per instructions) but the best ride I had on the bike was a night ride with a heavy battery pack under the seat. +- 5kg . when I put this on I did not re-adjust the shock , and well the bike performed the best it ever has , the back would just not leave the ground and everything was absorbed. So I am wondering it I could say run 10 to 11mm sag ? and how that will affect the performance. ?

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
25% is good

DH_WP said:
I would like to know what sag you guys are running on your rear shocks...in all travel modes ?
I run 9mm on my 4.5" link (as per instructions) but the best ride I had on the bike was a night ride with a heavy battery pack under the seat. +- 5kg . when I put this on I did not re-adjust the shock , and well the bike performed the best it ever has , the back would just not leave the ground and everything was absorbed. So I am wondering it I could say run 10 to 11mm sag ? and how that will affect the performance. ?
I like 25% or thereabouts of sag. I'm running a Push'd AVA w/ 5.25" links, so right about 1/2" sag on my bike, as measured on the shock shaft...
So I guess you're right in the ballpark with 9-10mm. But you should experiment, see how far you can go while still not bobbing excessively. That limit is going to be different for everybody, based on weight, riding style, terrain, etc...

·
Registered
286 Posts
rear sag

I have been running about 3/8 in the long travel mode and wasn't quite getting the ride I had hoped for so I increased it to 1/2 in long travel mode. Helped alot but i was wondering if running 1/2 in the 4.5 mode will give you an even better ride. When you measure your sag do you lower the front of your bike also? Talus,psylo etc?
I did notice before i started reducing the pressure in the rear on the down hills the bike seem to be out of balance with too much weight on the front.
Any info would be a great help

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
tom schoonveld said:
When you measure your sag do you lower the front of your bike also? Talus,psylo etc?
The best way to measure sag is to draw a few lines on the shock body itself with a marker, say at 3/8" and 1/2 inch, and then sit on the bike while it's stationary and see where you're at.

I run 1/2 inch with the long travel mode, but that much sag has it's downsides. But the only way for me to use all the travel. I'm very much ready for a new shock to replace this float.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts