Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be racing on Saturday (XC race - 3 laps of about 7km per lap)… the course has quite a lot of sandy patches – various depths. I already have 2 rear wheels prepared with Stan’s no-tubes. One is a semi-slick Geax tire (2.1 inch) the other a knobbly Geax tire 2.0 inch. Which tire do you reckon is best? The only other section where my tire choice may be critical is on a steep downhill section (about 1km) with rocks where I need to use my rear brake to control speed. The rest of the course is mostly what I think you’d call dry hard pack. I practiced the course yesterday with the semi-slick tires, I did okay but just wondering if I may do better with the knobbly tires?
Thanks.
JB

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Ideally, a high volume moderate tread tire is best for sand. If your two choices are nearly the same width, I would choose the knobby.

·
Registered
71 Posts
wide, high volume open block, like a tractor tire, but it depends on the type of sand
you wont know till you try
you might have to swap out part way through
the more open block thoguh could cut on a rock if there are sharp edges

try another lap with the other tire before the race

Hay Ewe

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
One of the best tires I've raced in deep sand was the fat(wide for its height) low-knob'd 2.25 Furious Fred. Still to need to ride'm with proper technique of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.