Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse the new thread as it's probably been covered many times over but I'm not finding condensed info in searches. Not new to riding but new to current tire offerings...

I've been riding about 25-30 miles miles a week with a good amount of steep/technical trails in L.A. area (not shuttling). Purchased a new tire (Maxxis High Roller 2.35 60a) three weeks ago and it's pretty much fried already despite trying to make the tire last (not ridiculously back brake heavy). Had a Captain Control before that that seemed to last a bit longer but seemed like more of an XC tire...

Is going through a rear tire every 100 or so miles a fact of life I need to accept given my preferred trails/riding style, or was the high roller just a fast wearing tire (despite reading the opposite?)???

Would perhaps a Spec Purgatory Control 2.3 last longer?

Any recommendations on a rear tire around the same size/aggressive tread style as High Roller that carries a good value/wear ratio?

I'm definitely willing to forgo grippy compounds, tubeless, possibly even folding beads to keep this 'sport' affordable... Any input is appreciated.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
That wear rate seems hugely excessive. What sort of surface are the trails? Do you ride on roads at all? Are you skidding at all? Honestly, I get 500-800 miles on a rear tire usually, sometimes a little less on my single speed, but nothing like a tire every 100 miles. If durability is something you're seeking, look at some of the lower end CST tires. They tend to have much harder compounds, while keeping a tread that will provide some grip, but they are also heavy. I keep a set of these on my SS in the winter when it spends as much or more time on the local greenway as it does single track.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Spec tires usually don't last very long. A High Roller should last you at least half to a full season of very hard riding. I've had Minions that have lasted a year and a half of riding southern Utah sandpaper. My guess is you're dragging the rear brake far too much. Are you using the front brake? You should be using it as much or more than your rear brake, and ideally never locking your rear up and skidding at all. Feathering your brakes stops you much faster than skidding anyway. I've never heard of anyone wearing out tires that fast.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Something seems off; I just changed out my rear HR II after about 400 miles due to a sidewall tear. Had that not happened I still had plenty of tread life remaining.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Yeah, something is odd there. That wear is stupid fast.

Post a picture of the tire too, I'm curious to see what these tires look like after only 100 miles.

You're not riding on molten lava and cheese graters are you?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I ride about 80 miles per week on and off road, my tires last about 4 to 5 mths, not sure if you tire pressure is too high, I run around 32 psi with tubes, must have a lot of horsepower or something, at this point because I ride a lot of hard pack and road, I am using Maxxis cross max.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think any excessive wear due to conditions (not tire quality related) might have more to do with the steepness of the descents, not really my riding style per se. I'm grabbing plenty of front brake whenever possible as well as trying not to lock up the rear whenever avoidable. There are plenty of times where it's unavoidable though. I'm riding typical SoCal conditions... kitty litter, hard pack, baby heads, rarely any sandstone/rock. PSI in low to mid thirties I'd guess (go by feel mostly).

Tire has less then 50% of original tread, and all the centerline trailing edges have been knocked down. What square edges there might appear to be, are just thin distressed rubber flaps still holding on to a rounded knob. While it still climbs fine (more technique IMO), braking sucks.

Just for giggles and comparison sake, on average, how long would you guys expect a tire to last running chairs at a resort?

Any other recommendations for long wearing tires?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'd really like to see a pic of this tire after 100mile's.

I ran a Specalized Clutch Control for about 600 mile's last year. It was about half tread and got retired cause of a cut through the tread into the cords. If it wasnt for that it would have stayed on to finish the season. The edges were all torn up and the tread had the crumbled kinda texture to it but it worked well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd really like to see a pic of this tire after 100mile's.
I'll 3rd this statement.

Something seems a little off to be wearing through tires at that rate. Hell, I managed to get more than a hundred miles out of a Racing Ralph before the knobs started ripping off :p

The captain control has about the same tread depth as a the fast track does and I got 600-700 miles out of one last summer. That HR has a lot more rubber on it than either of those do so longevity shouldn't be an issue.

Then again worn out to one person can be just getting broken in to another. :thumbsup:

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I'll 3rd this statement.

Hell, I managed to get more than a hundred miles out of a Racing Ralph before the knobs started ripping off :p
Now that's impressive!

Now, the OP, tire life running parks with lifts? I think a lot of that depends on the park, again it's a conditions thing. I've seen exactly one lift park, and I didn't get to ride that, but most of their stuff wasn't all that steep, but they had some great flow trails, rollers, stuff like that. Based on what you're describing, I'm going to say you're riding very, very steep trails, and because of the steepness you're using the rear brake more than the front because much front brake at all is causing the rear to lift. Just nod if this sounds right.

The solution is to ride trails that aren't so steep, or get a bike designed to ride stuff that steep, or (and I'm not saying this is the problem, just that maybe it should be evaluated as well) improve your technique. I'd also let a few PSI out of your tires if just the center knobs are wearing. It will make your contact patch bigger and spread out the forces that are shredding your tires some.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sure the steep technical nature of the trails is a large factor in burning through the tire... but riding this stuff is nothing new to me although it's been 10yrs+. Of the dozens of rear tires I'd gone through (back in the day), I don't ever recall going through one this fast that didn't involve DH racing/chairlifts. While I could ride slower and on less steep/tech trails, it kind of negates the fun... but I appreciate the suggestions all the same.

Suspicions of my riding style etc aside... anyone have any additional specific tire recommendations that are known to be long lasting geared toward all mountain/light freeride?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Minion DHFs have a lot of rubber that contacts the ground, and I get at least a season and a half on them while riding steep, rocky stuff all season long.

·
Just the tip!
152 Posts
Geax Sturdy 2.25. It's underrated but I've been loving this tire for 8 years for general AM/light FR duties. HUGE volume, decent grip, good wear characteristics, true to size, durable (lugs do not rip out), reasonably light for its size, pedals well for a large blocked tire, and keeps gripping predictably with 25% tread left. I get about 8 months out of one going 3x a week in Laguna/Aliso in Socal.

However, I will say it's not one of those "throw the bike on its side hard in a turn" kind of tires like Maxxis usually makes. If you like that kind of thing I agree the minion dhf is nice. They are undersized though so expect your 2.5 to measure 2.3 ish. The new dhr2 is nice as well but the 60a one I have seems to wear a little faster than I like.

Back to the Sturdy, it's a round profile tire so it transitions smoothly from upright to leaned over and you can crack it loose controllably when needed.

Suspicions of my riding style etc aside... anyone have any additional specific tire recommendations that are known to be long lasting geared toward all mountain/light freeride?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,331 Posts
If it was a maxxis minion and you were DHing, that would be completely normal. I wiped out a super-soft Michelin Comp 24 in about 2 weeks once. Those tires stick so well they are worth it (like putting on for a big trip, or race series, etc), but you don't get a lot of use out of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went through a rear tire quickly like that when I first started riding some steeper, downhill trails that had a lot of gravel. I was using too much rear brake, which caused the bike to skid. I suspect you are probably skidding too much and the dirt has gravel that is burning the tread right off.

If the hill is too steep to not stay off the brakes, then you have to keep your bike from getting any speed and inertia going. If you let it build up speed and then brake, you lose tread. You simply have to ride your brakes most of the way down. Think 3-5 mph.

A little tip or trick I use to stop the bike quickly without causing it to skid is to whip the handlebars back and forth a few times while I brake. Try that a few times on some small hills until you get the hang of it. By doing that, you won't have to ride the brakes nearly has hard but will still be able to get the bike to stop real quick.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i ride so cal too and get 6+ months of use out of specialized rear tires with a mix of big bear lift access, all the local trail riding spots, as well as more xc w/ pavement mixed in rides. I am currently running a Specialized Ground Control Grid Tubliss Ready casing(not full UST casing) its reasonably light, tougher than the control casing, rolls well, climbs well, corners well, works great with a hans dampf up front, and it lasts! Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic on the rear would only last about 4 months tops before the tire is worthless.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts