Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told I've been running my rear tires the wrong way. Front is easy, just mount it with the front arrow pointing to the front of the bike. I'd do the same with the rear wheel mounting the tire so the arrow for the front was pointing to the front (the direction the tire spins).

But....my mate has told me I'm wrong and that you mount the rear tire with the rear arrow pointing to the front (the direction the tire spins). My mates right isn't he? :confused:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They've been manufactured to go a certain way though...anyone know which method is recommended by the tire maker? I've heard of changing tires round to help ware but I'm not interested in that...I just want to know which way most people use.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
saga said:
I've been told I've been running my rear tires the wrong way. Front is easy, just mount it with the front arrow pointing to the front of the bike. I'd do the same with the rear wheel mounting the tire so the arrow for the front was pointing to the front (the direction the tire spins).

But....my mate has told me I'm wrong and that you mount the rear tire with the rear arrow pointing to the front (the direction the tire spins). My mates right isn't he? :confused:
Aren't you both saying he same thing?:confused:

the "correct" method - arrow points in the direction of spin (both tires)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
highdelll said:
Aren't you both saying he same thing?
No, the RR is a directional tire with two arrows: one for the front and one for the back. Mounting the rear tire in the intended direction (with the rear arrow facing forward) will give slightly better climbing traction at the expense of some cornering performance.

OP, if you're satisfied with the performance of the rear as is, don't worry about reversing the tire.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
bholwell has it right... Look at the knobs, Schwalbe hardly ramps the knobs, but they do. The knobs are ramped towards the "Front" (meaning the front wheel) direction. This gives less rolling resistance and also less traction.

Running them reversed increases climbing traction, but reduces braking traction and increases drag.

Also, remember the "U" blocks on the shoulders run "reverse" on Schwalbes. The Vee that they form, closes towards the rear of the bike if you run them for maximum cornering traction, counterintuitive to any other tyre.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.