Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slot drop out On One 29er frame on the way and have a question. I know the On One frames usually have good clearance, but this will be my first one. It is possible to fit something like and Ardent 2.4 on a wide rim (like a KH or Gordo) in there?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yo Mark. I'm riding the Ti version. With the hubs shoved all the way towards the seattube, I can just fit a 2.4" Racing Ralph on Salsa Delgardo rims in there. About 2mm clearance on each side of the chainstay.

My Ardent 2.4s are onroute, and so are my Flows which are going to be built next week. (The delgados have given up the ghost). I'll probably take a pic of it once I get it done.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tinier said:
Oh..just realised your question on the rims. I doubt it'll fit, for the ti version at least. I'll go check my friend's chromoly version for clearance.
Hey Tinier, thanks for the replies. The wheel I currently have uses a Flow rim, so I'm sure I can get it to work if I pull it back a bit. I was hoping to build up a wheel with a wider rim, but maybe that won't work.

I was just looking through the 29er On One thread and saw pictures of your Ti bike, looks real nice! I got a good deal on a steel inbred, so that will have to do for now.

Mark

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
851 Posts
I'm not sure if this helps, but I am currently running 2.3 Exiwolfs on WTB Dual Duty XC rims and there's still plenty of room with the wheel pushed all the way forward. I don't have the rim width specs in front of me, but I think this is a fairly burly setup.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Toying with the idea of going On One 29er with a wide ish rim and using the Ardent 2.4's to get some kind of comfort from the rear end ( Ti Post later maybe )

So interested to see how big they can go!!

Pictures anyone ??

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turveyd said:
Toying with the idea of going On One 29er with a wide ish rim and using the Ardent 2.4's to get some kind of comfort from the rear end ( Ti Post later maybe )

So interested to see how big they can go!!

Pictures anyone ??
That was my plan as well. I already have a Flow wheel with a 2.4 Ardent mounted tubeless. According to UPS, my steel Inbred should be here Monday. I will throw the wheel in there and take some pictures. I guess after we see the clearance we can tell if it's possible to go with a wider rim.

Mark

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
2.4 Ardent on Scandal

2.4 ardent on Slotted dropout Scandal. There is still plenty of clearance- they said they built it for a 2.5 and they weren't lying. The ardent is mountied on a dt tk7.1d which is 24 mm wide. I have axle in middle/front part of droupout. Doesn't show best part but best pic I have.
Brown Property Infrastructure Wall Photograph

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
851 Posts
rob said:
If your running derailleurs and need a little more clearance for bigger tires or the front der., you could use Surly Monkey Nuts. It's what I use for my slotted Inbred 29er.
Good point about derailleur clearance. I was just thinking of chainstay clearance. I'm running a double up front and had to dremel the arm off my new XT dual pull front derailleur to keep the tire from rubbing the derailleur. I suspect you wouldn't have to do that if you're using an older derailleur that isn't of the dual pull variety (read: not so damn big in the clamp area).

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife is going to kill me! So I was browsing the On One site to check out the spec's on the steel frame I have coming and saw that they are having a sale. I wonder if that applies to frames? Why yes it does! So if I drop a 29er Ti frame into my basket, pick US which gets rid of the VAT (but adds shipping), the total comes to 614 or so pounds. With current exchange rates that's less than $1000! Man, that's a great deal! Only 3 left in the 16" size, and no 18"s. You can probably guess what happened next!

Less than $1000 for a US built titanium frame? I just couldn't resist! So.... I will have an On One frame for sale in the next couple of weeks. Depending on how the conversation goes with my wife, it may be steel or Ti.

But man I really love Ti frames! I already have 3 titanium bikes and another road frame that's not built up. I was thinking about selling the road frame anyway, so now looks like a good time!

But honey, if I sell the Ti road frame and the steel Inbred, that is about the same as the cost of the Ti On One. And there will be one less frame hanging around!

Anyone want to buy a really nice Lemond titanium road frame? Old school with horizontal drops, perfect for SS or Fixie conversion! Comes with a carbon fork and threaded Dura Ace headset. Frame and fork are freshly painted too, red!

Mark

·
( )
755 Posts
Congrats! You're going to love the ti version. I've had one for just over a year and it rocks. I love the slot dropout. Simple, clean and with bolt on hub, super stiff. You'll be glad you did it no matter what your wife says!

bikeny said:
My wife is going to kill me! So I was browsing the On One site to check out the spec's on the steel frame I have coming and saw that they are having a sale. I wonder if that applies to frames? Why yes it does! So if I drop a 29er Ti frame into my basket, pick US which gets rid of the VAT (but adds shipping), the total comes to 614 or so pounds. With current exchange rates that's less than $1000! Man, that's a great deal! Only 3 left in the 16" size, and no 18"s. You can probably guess what happened next!

Less than $1000 for a US built titanium frame? I just couldn't resist! So.... I will have an On One frame for sale in the next couple of weeks. Depending on how the conversation goes with my wife, it may be steel or Ti.

But man I really love Ti frames! I already have 3 titanium bikes and another road frame that's not built up. I was thinking about selling the road frame anyway, so now looks like a good time!

But honey, if I sell the Ti road frame and the steel Inbred, that is about the same as the cost of the Ti On One. And there will be one less frame hanging around!

Anyone want to buy a really nice Lemond titanium road frame? Old school with horizontal drops, perfect for SS or Fixie conversion! Comes with a carbon fork and threaded Dura Ace headset. Frame and fork are freshly painted too, red!

Mark

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Racing Ralph 2.4 on a Kris Holm rim. This is the 06 sliding dropout. If I remember, the horizontal slot frames are the same or more clearance. It is not real clear, but I can get the ends of both fingers between the sidewall and the seat stays and chain stays. Micrometer says my finger is 8-10mm. ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
LBIkid said:
Good point about derailleur clearance. I was just thinking of chainstay clearance. I'm running a double up front and had to dremel the arm off my new XT dual pull front derailleur to keep the tire from rubbing the derailleur. I suspect you wouldn't have to do that if you're using an older derailleur that isn't of the dual pull variety (read: not so damn big in the clamp area).
This aso happened to me, only I used a hacksaw and file. I didn't want the hassle of using a chain tug and adjusting the rear brake position, so off it came.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Get the ti! I'm loving mine so much right now, my 5spot is collecting dust. I've no problems with the front D clearance, even with the Racing Ralphs 2.4" it still has plenty of clearance.

I've just collected a brandless titanium seatpost that looks like a copy of a moots post from a friend, will test ride it later to see if this ti post is really more comfortable than my thomson post.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So my Ti Inbred showed up yesterday, 2 days early! I tossed my Alfine/Flow wheel with Ardent 2.4 tire in there and pushed it all the way forward in the dropouts. This tire has been mounted and ridden for a few weeks already, so it is already stretched out. Pictures are below. Plenty of seatstay clearance and about 6mm chainstay clearance on each side. I think if you pull the wheel back a bit you could go with a wider rim without issue. Then I noticed something weird, no derailleur hanger! Also only one set of cable guides. I didn't know a SS specific Ti Inbred existed. Email sent to On One for clarification.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.