Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Good luck with that!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of a noob to MTB, but I ride a lot in the PMP [trails 8,1a, 100a,100] about 3-5 times a week and recently bought a Haro flightline with Kenda Komodo tires, but after only 3 months of riding, the tread on my rear tire is nearly completely worn off. So I need to replace it, but is there a "good" tire for the type of terrain we have in AZ? The guy at REI recommended a Panaracer Fire, but are those better than the Kenda's?

·
Trail Monger
204 Posts
I like the small kenda small block 8. They blow for Hawe's kitty litter though. I bought some $11.00 forte that look sorta like the kendas. 6 trips to all sorts of places and they are doing very well. They are called sheerwood xc and they are performance's house brand.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Unfortunately, 3 mos isn't all that unusual for a tire with the amount of riding you're getting in and the terrain. Something with a harder compound will last longer but don't get your hopes up for a tire that survives a year. What kind of $ are you planning to spend? I've had very good wear life with Maxxis Ignitors but they've gotten a bit pricey.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah don't feel bad about that.. I just switched out my kenda nevegal with about 6 weeks on it. Kind of unrelated but I picked up a wtb moto racer because it was super cheap.. It claims to be a 2.24 but in reality is smaller than the kenda which claims to be 2.1. What's with that?

Also if you're going to a shop for advice try out some of the great local shops, cactus and rage for example, they are very passionate and always a great help.

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
Small Block 8's have had a tendency to easily get sidewall cuts around here.

I'm actually very happy with my Bontrager Jones ACX and bought another to replace it, the Geax Saguaro's get pretty good reviews and are known to be tougher than SB8.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've had great performance from the Geax Saguaro TNT and also the WTB Exiwolf for rear tires. I'm thinking that I like the Exiwolf better.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
kenbentit said:
Unfortunately, 3 mos isn't all that unusual for a tire with the amount of riding you're getting in and the terrain. Something with a harder compound will last longer but don't get your hopes up for a tire that survives a year. What kind of $ are you planning to spend? I've had very good wear life with Maxxis Ignitors but they've gotten a bit pricey.
i agree and think the ignitor is a great rear tire for all around riding in AZ. maxxis prices have gone up but you can still find them for a reasonable price if you shop around.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i'm riding my first set of kenda negevals and noticing decently quick wear on the rear.. but i ride 2-3times a week so i'm fairly happy thus far.. is it recommended to rotate from front to back or should i just let it be and just replace the rear when it's dead? :) //g

·
Registered
630 Posts
azpoolguy said:
I'm on my second Bontrager XDX TLR. I've been averaging 700 to 800 miles per tire. Good rear tire traction and durable sidewalls.
+1, if you are looking for a good XC only rear tire, then the XDX is great. Knobs will wear somewhat quickly, but I think this is a better tire in a side by side comparison to the SB8. Sidewalls are much stronger, and if you ride PMP most often, that is a factor that you should really consider.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
jeffggardner said:
I'm kind of a noob to MTB, but I ride a lot in the PMP [ 3-5 times a week and recently bought a Haro flightline with Kenda Komodo tires, but after only 3 months of riding, the tread on my rear tire is nearly completely worn off. ?
Like was said here, 3 months is not bad , I ride somo and pass mountain all the time and I go through 2.7 ft's and 2.5 rears in about 8 to 10 weeks ,
And my tires are not XC units.

I tried to run some lighter XC type tires and could not get 2-3 rides out of a tire.

So 3 months is not to bad for out here .

·
Chunky Monkey
413 Posts
Cst

RandyBoy said:
I get about 1200 -1300 miles on my CST Caballero 29 x 2.25. They are a $13.00 tire, if you shop for them online and buy 3 or 4 at a time.
+1

CST makes Maxxis and some other OEM. While they MAY not be quite the compound or duo, $13 for steel bead or $21 for Kevlar is not bad these days. But Maxxis pics are better:thumbsup:

http://www.internationalkarting.com.au/page/maxxis.html

I would like to hear what Epicrider uses...

Thx,
John

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.