Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a longer travel 29er bike. It's my fast downhillish brawler. Currently using a Butcher 2.3 Control in the front and I'm in love with it. It's like the 26" Maxxis DHF I used to use, but lighter. Win win.

Now with that settled, not sure what to do on the back. I tried an Ardent 2.25 this past weekend that I had laying around. An Ardent 2.4 used to be my go to on the rear of the 26" bike (with the DHF out front). The 2.25 Ardent felt overwhelmed with the Butcher in front. The rear broke away first with me never even having a sketchy front moment. Made me wonder how much more the Butcher has left in it.

Should I go straight to the 2.3 Purg in the back? Will the 2.3 Ground Control give me enough grip in the back to be happy but roll faster enough to make a difference? Or is the Ardent good enough back there and I'm just on the edge anyway? I also forgot that I have a 2.3 HR2 that I can use. I WAS planning on using the HR2 as a "wet" rear setup, but I could just use it all the time. It's pretty slow rolling though...

Thoughts, recommendations?

-Tom

edit: added HR2

·
Is dang happy!
1,379 Posts
On-One Smorgasbord has a nice soft compound that sticks to the trail.

I would throw the Butcher on the rear and try a 2.4 Chunkymonkey on the front for more aggressive riding.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Rampage by Panaracer?
29 X 2.35 58-622 800g

I run it with the ramped knobs facing front. Fast rolling / good braking that way.

·
West Chester, PA
4,952 Posts
I think the GC is one of the best rear tires I've ever used. Great climbing grip on rocks and roots. Rolls fast even though it doesn't look like it would. Go with the new grid casing, it gives the sidewalls a little more firmness. I found the control version a little to apt to collapse on square edged bumps.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
I like Mr.Doom's suggestion.
I'm running Chunky Monkey front, smorgasboard rear. At $35 per tire shipped, it's a low gamble trial.

I liked the GC as a rear when new, but after a few rides the braking performance fell apart completely for me. Very fast roller for its size.

·
Registered
796 Posts
On my stumpy I am running the GC 2.1 rear and love it. Its pretty worn right now after about 600 miles, but I cant find a reason to replace it. LOL I like being able to throw the rear around a bit on the bigger wheels and its still climbing well also.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
Purg is a wonderful AM rear tire and mates very well to a Butcher up front. Love the volume. Ran a Purg 2.2/2.3 on the last two AM bikes I've owned (one with a Clutch up front, which was a similar pattern to a lightweight DHF). Only reason I'm currently running a Kenda Honey Badger Pro DTC is the Purg wasn't (yet) available in 650b.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Purg is a wonderful AM rear tire and mates very well to a Butcher up front. Love the volume. Ran a Purg 2.2/2.3 on the last two AM bikes .
On my 29 FS, I've run the Purg 2.3 as a rear and like it as well. It has a similar feel as the smorgasboard, but is also almost twice the cost. The sidewalls of the Purg are also not as durable as the Smorgasboard, at least the control casing - I haven't tried the Grid casing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice!

It sounds like the Purg on the back is a good all around choice with the GC as a more slidey option.

Next question that should help me narrow it down. Is it easy to go from GC to Purg? Are they the "same style but just more grip"? What I'm thinking is that I should use the GC for training and practice as I'm actually such a huge ***** with low grip. They could help make me better and learn. Then throw the Purg on for racing when things are timed.

Either way, just looking at the tread, I'll keep the HR2 as my go to option if we have to race in the rain.

-Tom

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
In the last month I have tried every combo in the original post besides Butcher/HRII.

Butcher/Purg, Butcher/Ardent 2.25, Butcher/Ground Control, Purg/Ground Control, and Purg/X-King.

The Purg bogged BAD on climbs, seriously at least 2 gears slower. It has a lot of traction and brakes great, but god damn the climbing bog is unbearable.

I settled on Butcher/Ardent because of how quick of a roller the Ardent is out back but I do agree that the braking is less than ideal, especially when it's anything but bone dry.

The Ground Control is good too but also not quite as much braking as I want, but not bad enough for me to take the bogging the Purg gives. It's a toss up for me between those two. I wouldn't use the Purg on the back for racing unless the route has zero climbing, you're sure to lose. I dropped 5 minutes off my best ever time on a 12 mile loop when I swapped the Purg rear for the Ardent. I have a thread going about how I do not like it as a rear, still on the front page.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting that it's that much worse. I can see it though considering the tread pattern. Why the ardent over the ground control?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
No particular reason, I just found it online for $40 for the TR/EXO version and bought on a whim. I think a lot of tires would feel fast after having a Purg in the back and that may be why I like the Ardent so much right now but comparing it against the Ground Control I can't say I have a preference.

The Ardent works well because of the arrow shaped tread. It's like pulling a barb out when you apply the brakes, it really digs in. However, I'd be sure to get the 2.25 model as a rear. The 2.4 version is a MUCH bigger tire and it'd be a bit wonky with a Butcher 2.3 (which runs a little small) up front, as it would be smaller.

If your terrain warrants it, the Purg is a good rear tire, I just hope you're a damn strong climber because it's a 2+ gear difference for me and I have STRONG legs.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I noticed the Purg's power robbing climbing right away. It will be coming off my ride, its a much slower climber than the Conti Trailking2.4 is replaced.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
I took the purgatory off the rear as well, not because I noticed any awful bogging but because the butcher was just so much better that I had the same thought as you. How much more can I get, well I ended up trying the ardent on the rear and it is lightning fast compared to the purgatory. I noticed the speed right away. The braking is less then what I would normally like. I have a problem with finding a rear tire that I truly get along with. So far the best I have found that seems to do it all is the trail king in 2.2 flavor with the black chili compound. Lat forever roll pretty fast, faster then the purgatory, but brake way better then the ardent. I will put it back on the rear after I give the ardent a but more of a shake down, just to be fair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts