Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are two Hope 10mm hub conversions: thru-axle or bolt-on.

The bolt-on axle in the hub is threaded on the inside at each end. It uses two small axle bolts that are threaded into each side of the hub axle.

The thru-axle uses a thru-bolt, like the Hadley 10mm thru-axle or the DT Swiss RWS 10mm "quick-release" thru bolt.

I went with the thru-axle conversion and the Hadley, I've yet to do the conversion (next week I'll have time), but others have and it works fine. I prefer this method and think it makes it more convenient to pull the rear wheel because you only need to unscrew one side. The DT Swiss is even easier because of its ratchet mechanism.

My friend went the bolt-on route and it works fine too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
First, on your standard wheel/hub what the quick-release skewer goes through in the hub is called the axle. Therefore, it can be confusing when talking about this because what was the skewer on a quick-release hub is called an axle or bolt on a 10mm hub.

Also, remember there are TWO different 10mm conversion kits: bolt-on OR thru-axle. Each secures the wheel to the drop-outs differently.

If you use the thru-bolt conversion, then you will use either the Hadley 10mm bolt or the DT Swiss RWS 10mm bolt. This is more similar to a standard quick-release hub, because this bolt is long like a skewer and slides through the hub's axle and a nut is threaded (screwed) on to the threaded end of the bolt.

If you use the bolt-on conversion, then you use the 2 Hope bolts that I linked to and NOT the Hadley 10mm axle or DT Swiss RWS 10mm bolt axle. Here, instead of having one long bolt (like a skewer) that goes through the hub's axle, instead you use two short bolts that thread (screw) into each end of the hub's axle.

The thru-bolt provides more convenience when removing the rear wheel because you are only unscrewing one end of the thru-bolt. Whereas, the bolt-on requires that you unscrew (loosen) each bolt for removal.

Just remember there are two types of conversion kits and each uses a different means to fasten the wheel to the drop-outs. See the links I provided in my earlier post.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GbrNole said:
Thanks that was helpful. So those kits above, the 10mm thru axle, i would have to purcahse the thru bolt also or the extra bolts if i chose the thru bolt?
the bolts will be included if you buy the bolt-on conversion kit (I think the pic in CRC might be wrong, or just missing the bolts)....

the thru axle, you will need to get an RWS or an axle like the Hadley...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
this is old but this should be sticked it really explains everything perfectly! now i understand it all....thanks disjointed. i would like to know how bolt on/thru axle compare to maxle, whats lighter, stonger, stiffer, easier to use and cost...

·
Clyde
264 Posts
Getting Stiffer a the time

bedell99 said:
Has anybody gone to bolt on? Does it make the rear end stiffer?
I'm a 230lb Clyde and went from qr crossrides to Hope Pros on 819s with the rear bolt and found this to stiffen up the rear end some. I have also switched to the Lopes link and a 15mm thru axle fox 140 vanilla. Today the bike is much stiffer which I see the biggest benefit on technical descents. Removing the rear wheel is no big deal.

Hope Pro2 10mm Bolt Rear Axle :thumbsup:

Lopes Link :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fox 140 RLC Vanilla :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My 08 Mojo with all three :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Silly question, changing to this 10mm through axle or bolt up axle will all fir into a standard QR drop out. Therefore making a standard 9mm QR drop out into a stiffer 10mm bolt through - better = truere alignment stronger and stiffer?

Why does'nt everyone just do it, if the answer is yes I am ordering the parts TODAY!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Silly question, changing to this 10mm through axle or bolt up axle will all fir into a standard QR drop out. Therefore making a standard 9mm QR drop out into a stiffer 10mm bolt through - better = truere alignment stronger and stiffer?

Why does'nt everyone just do it, if the answer is yes I am ordering the parts TODAY!
you are correct. One clarification though: 'standard' rear dropuouts are 10mm the front ones are the ones that are 9mm) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bolt through axles

Interestingly Hope say yes to the bolt on which is this one (Hope Conversion Kits Pro 2 10mm Bolt Up Rear | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com), but not to the through axle (Hope Conversion Kits Pro 2 10mm Thru Rear | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com) as the frame will not take the axle size. So there is a design opportunity for someone to make a through axle in 10mm which is forged to fit into the rear drop outs. But then again those cleaver people at hope have it covered with the bolt up version - happy days, I'll get one and see if it works.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.