Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 spot - a copule years old (when they first went to the matched color rear triangles) - anyway it has the Fox AVA propedal rear shock. I road the bike when I first got it and remember not liking the feel, but then other life duties forced me to stop riding for a while.

I'm getting back on it and I remember the rear suspension issue now - its just too firm for my aging a$$ and back - too much feeback from little bumps, etc. Climbs good, but I need a little more plushness...I've messed with the pressure a little, but I'm a set it and forget it type of guy - I don't want to be messing with stuff.

Should I Push it or try to find a RP3? I've been outta the MB scene for a while so I don't know what makes the RP3 so good.

The front fork is a Talus - the 5" version (and it works fine).

Thanks in advance. This forum was sa big part of why I went to the Turner.

Jeff

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
im havin great luck with a ava and a rp3 on 2 diff turners. my guess here is that yer off on yer psi. if ya give us some numbers like weight with gear on and current settings, ill bet we can help. be sure to give us all the ava settings, not just psi.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Paradiddle said:
I have a 5 spot - a copule years old (when they first went to the matched color rear triangles) - anyway it has the Fox AVA propedal rear shock. I road the bike when I first got it and remember not liking the feel, but then other life duties forced me to stop riding for a while.

I'm getting back on it and I remember the rear suspension issue now - its just too firm for my aging a$$ and back - too much feeback from little bumps, etc. Climbs good, but I need a little more plushness...I've messed with the pressure a little, but I'm a set it and forget it type of guy - I don't want to be messing with stuff.

Should I Push it or try to find a RP3? I've been outta the MB scene for a while so I don't know what makes the RP3 so good.

The front fork is a Talus - the 5" version (and it works fine).

Thanks in advance. This forum was sa big part of why I went to the Turner.

Jeff
Either Push it, or pick up an RP 23 from Push. I got one on my spot and it is working very well. You adjust the level of platform that you like then you can turn it on or off.

And if your Talas isn't Pushed yet, send it in as well for equally dramatic improvements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I weight 185 with my gear on. Run between 150 and 130 psi in the rear shock (been playing with the air pressure) - rebound is 6-8 clicks from fastest setting (6-8 clicks in the direction of the slower arrow). It's a Float R AVA with ProPedal.

It's really the small bump/chatter that makes the bike feel like a hardtail.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

·
12,942 Posts
were pretty close weight wise. im 5 or 10 under you at 145 psi, rebound is 6 in from fast and 3 1/2 bars out from full volume on the ava can. my guess is ya need to experiment with the can settings, yer lockout knob is mistakenly locked out or its time for a rebuild/push/replacement. id think if it was shot it would feel overly soft, not overly stiff. also keep in mind these numbers are on a '02 rfx w/ 5" A rockers, a '05 pack rear end and a new shock. its pretty close to a spot but not quite the same so yers may vary slightly. also ya gotta account for individual taste. give it a go over the next few days and lemme know.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I don't think so...

You may have a problem with you're AVA propedal or excess friction in the seals because the AVA has more volume than the RP3 and should be as plush in the initial stroke and more plush through the rest of the stroke, although you can turn the propedal off on the RP3. I have a non propedal AVA on my 5 Spot that is pure butter so I would either see what Fox or Push can do for it, Much cheaper than buying an RP3 (which many people send to have pushed anyway.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robbz said:
Have you opened the AVA air sleeve to maximum?
Just asking, not accusing.
I don't think so. I've only messed with the air pressure and the rebound - haven't adjusted the can at all.

Should it be at max? I think I have closer to 4 or 5 lines showing (I don't recall exactly and I'm not in from of the bike now).

Thanks guys for the info.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
IMO, the first Propedal AVA shocks were very harsh on the small stuff. Way too much Propedal. So much so that Fox might even revalve it (MIGHT) if you grouch enough.

Even if they charged you, it would still be way cheaper than PUSH.

But if the $$$ doesn't matter too much, just having it PUSH'd is probably best.

The new RP23 might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I still wouldn't grab one off the first production run!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kosmo said:
IMO, the first Propedal AVA shocks were very harsh on the small stuff. Way too much Propedal. So much so that Fox might even revalve it (MIGHT) if you grouch enough.

Even if they charged you, it would still be way cheaper than PUSH.

But if the $$$ doesn't matter too much, just having it PUSH'd is probably best.

The new RP23 might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I still wouldn't grab one off the first production run!
Interesting - I wonder if this is the case. I think it is an early AVA.

·
12,942 Posts
i wasnt aware the 1st ava's had this issue. thanx for the lesson kos and good luck to you paradoodle. sounds like yer settings were damn close to perfect. i also argree with kos. 1st run parts are normally things i shy away from. seems these days alot of companies rely on the consumer to do their testing instead of doin it themselves before production.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts