Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Schwinn 240 DSX FS bike and want to get rid of the elcheapo rear suspension for something better...I'm thinking something like a pre-owned Fox Float R (I don't have a lot of $)

Before everyone starts flaming me over this bike, let me make this straight, I like it. It's got some components which are great for a occassional rider like me. What I do need is to get rid of that rear suspension spring because it does suck!

Now I have measured the distance between eyes and I get 6". Will I be able to replace it with something that is 6 1/4 - 6.5 "?

Thanks!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
In general, you want to replace like with like. If you eye-to-eye length is 155mm, stick with that. If it's 160, stick with that. If you experiment with longer lengths, ensure that you have the necessary frame clearances. Nothing worse than a frame that bottoms out against itself!

One of the best bang-for-the-buck shock choices are the Cane Creek AD series. Not only are they relatively inexpensive, they're tunable over a wide range in compression, rebound and air chamber volume, and they're avaliable (or can be shortened by Cane Creek) in a host of lengths in 5mm increments.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Always. I'll say it again. Always replace it with the same i2i measurement.

Oh and it's not "let me make this straight". That makes no sense if you trying to write in English. It's "let me make this perfectly clear". Now if you're asking for a clarification then it's "let me get this straight"...

Of course my " marks may be wrong. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I lucked out and found a new Cane Creek AD5 on eBay which is the right size. It should be here next week! :)

Aaaaarg, A spelling and grammar nazi! LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time for an update...

I picked up a Cane Creek AD5 off of eBay for $45. It was a b!tch trying to exchange the reducers and get it to fit right but with dremmel tool, hammer, and WD 40 in the end I have succeeded. I can't believe how light it is compared to the old cheap spring! I took it out for a test ride today and I am really surprised at the amount of travel it gives me. I had my rear fender clipped on to my stem (my commute to work configuration) and I could hear my rear tire bottoming out on the bottom of the fender when I took a big bump. I can't wait to strip off the street stuff and hit some dirt with it now!

Attachments

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
You've got some tuning options with that shock, other than air pressure. Unfortunately it's not as easy to tune as the AD-10 or AD-12, but it can still be pretty easily whipped into shape with some help from Cane Creek.

Obviously, play with the air pressure to get the desired amount of suspension sag, in the range of 20 to 30% for your bike. Don't rely on Cane Creek recommended psi settings, as these cannot account for all the various suspension setups (compression ratio being a prime variable between different bikes).

If you feel like you're bottoming out (or, conversely, not getting full travel) you can very easily crack open the AD-5 and adjust the volume plate to one of three settings. Full chamber volume will give you a more linear travel to encourage use of the full range of the shock, while the small position will cause the shock to ramp up as it approaches the end of the stroke, better resisting bottoming out.

There is no way to know which of the three positions it is in without opening it, and I would suggest you order a $12 seal kit from Cane Creek before doing so, as you'll receive a tool to assist fitting everything back together without slicing an O-ring.

Cane Creek can provide the small parts necessary to modify your compression and rebound damping. If you contacted their excellent customer service department with your model of bike, your weight and your PSI, I'm sure they would make a recommendation as to what they consider appropriate.

Good luck. I remember well how my AD-10 transformed my Fisher Joshua when I replaced my non-responsive Rock Shox Deluxe coil shock, providing me with useful travel and tuning options that made a difference. I'm sure you'll feel the same about your investment.

http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/info/pdf/pdf/AD5_instructions.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts