Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide how important rear lockout is, and ultimately that will decide my choice in bikes.

I've never had a shock with rear lockout, and I do experience pedal bob with my current ride, and I really notice while climbing.

The AVA has the lockout feature and the R doesn't, but according to Fox's literature, the pro-pedal circuit on the R is suppose to eliminate pedal bob.

Is a rear lockout that important for climbing? I know the AVA is worth about $150 more than the R, but I'm more concerened with the lockout Vs no lockout.

Please help.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
To me, traction uphill outweighs the benefits of lockout. I have no experience w/ pro-pedal, but the stable platform on a swinger has been a miracle for me. With the swinger I never wish I had lock out (and back when I did, I never used it).

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Couple things. First you are mixing up Fox naming conventions. They have a Float R, Float RL, AVA R and AVA RL. The AVA sleeve adds a larger adjustable air chamber for a more linear feel and adjustable progression. The R only has rebound and the RL has rebound and a lockout. These are separate adjustment features.

The lockout feature interferes with the rebound circuit so it compromises performance. In addition, the lockout mechanism requires a much larger nitrogen charge that causes maintenance problems requiring factory rebuilds. Lastly, the ProPedal feature does help with pedal induced suspension motion. It doesn't completely eliminate pedal bob but it's still a big improvement over older shocks. Lockouts are for anal roadie types who want ZERO suspension movement no matter how trivial.

As far as which bike to buy, go with a proven suspension design from a good company. I wouldn't pick one bike over another due to the shock they put on it. You can always upgrade the shock later as necessary.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Locoman said:
To me, traction uphill outweighs the benefits of lockout. I have no experience w/ pro-pedal, but the stable platform on a swinger has been a miracle for me. With the swinger I never wish I had lock out (and back when I did, I never used it).
My sentiments exactly. I rarely used the lockout on my Float RL - pretty much only on long, smooth climbs. I've got a 3 way swinger now and it rocks. No need for it with the stable platform. I haven't spent too much time with Pro Pedal, but I've heard equally good things about it.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
No need for lockout if propedal

Ouch! said:
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide how important rear lockout is, and ultimately that will decide my choice in bikes.

I've never had a shock with rear lockout, and I do experience pedal bob with my current ride, and I really notice while climbing.

The AVA has the lockout feature and the R doesn't, but according to Fox's literature, the pro-pedal circuit on the R is suppose to eliminate pedal bob.

Is a rear lockout that important for climbing? I know the AVA is worth about $150 more than the R, but I'm more concerened with the lockout Vs no lockout.

Please help.
Lock out worked to eliminate suspension induced bob before propedal came along. I have used both and prefer the propedal. IMO get the AVA R propedal. Contact larry @ mountain cyclery for pricing.

Seeing how you havent mentioned what the application ofthe shock would be you might want to take to the manufacturer of your frame to see if the AVA R propedal is applicable.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Homebrew said:
As far as which bike to buy, go with a proven suspension design from a good company. I wouldn't pick one bike over another due to the shock they put on it. You can always upgrade the shock later as necessary.
I agree.. A good suspension design with a crappy shock works better than a bad suspension design with a good shock, imo. Now, get a good suspension design and a good shock, and you'll be very happy.. Frames outweigh the price of shocks by a lot, so don't skimp on the frame, and upgrade the shock later if you want to..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two bikes I'm considering are the 04 Norco Fireball (RL AVA) and the 04 Stumpjumper fsr elite disc (Float R propedal)

The Norco uses Specialized horst suspension design through liscensing, therefore I know both suspension designs are virtually the same.

·
No. Just No.
5,329 Posts
Implementation of same design will vary

Ouch! said:
The Norco uses Specialized horst suspension design through liscensing, therefore I know both suspension designs are virtually the same.
Different implementations of the same basic suspension design can produce wildly different ride characteristics. Not all Horst Link designs, for example, are created equal. In your case the qualities of the Norco could be better, worse, or same as on the Stumpjumper (you would also have to define what the qualities are that you are looking for to suit your riding style). I don't have personal experience on either bike so I can't comment on the quality of implementation on these models, other than saying that you need to look a bit deeper than just qualifying them both as Horst Link bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts