Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I started mountain biking since I was 14. But I never had full suspension bike. To make long story short, I bought a used 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper Fsr Comp 29er with fox triad 2 rear suspension. My question now is I noticed that it was leaking oil in the rebound knob and was told by bike shops that it needs a rebuilt costing me $250+. One thing that came up to my mind is just replaced it. But I couldn't find any 197mm x 48mm rear suspension that fits my budget. I saw other sizes that are used and for sale for a decent price.
My question now is, is it worth it to rebuild it?
Is it adviceable to add shorter or longer rear shock? if yes how many mm shorter/longer I can go? Last, is there anyone here that can or know someone or shop that may rebuild my rear suspension cheaper than $200? Los Angeles Area

Advanced thanks for the answers, sorry I'm newbie when it comes to full suspension bikes.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,718 Posts
check this, get a rebuild kit or parts, do as much yourself as you dare or are able to

FOX web site sez 160 for rebuilds...email them and ask about it

·
since 4/10/2009
30,798 Posts
The cost of a shock rebuild is almost entirely labor. Specialized loves proprietary rear shocks. Guess what you have? Servicing what you have is the better way out of this.

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Buy a bikeyoke so you can run a standard shock. You then will no longer be stuck with the crap proprietary size and shock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found someone that will rebuild it. But I will observe it, if it breaks after a year I will buy the yoke so I can interchange shock. Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts