Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a KHS XC 604 bike and am very happy with it. The only thing I would like to change in the future is the rear shock. It came with a Manitou Radium R air shock which isn't bad, however coming from a hardtail and riding the bike around the streets also from time to time I would like a lock out option. I went to the LBS the other day and was sitting on a bike with the Fox float, and I like the adjustments of them. However locating good priced rear shocks isn't as easy as finding forks. Can you guys give me some ideas for an upgrade, with a relatively low cost, and maybe thoughts on how much I could sell my current shock on ebay for? Here is a link to the bike and its set up, the front fork is pretty good with adjustablity, I would like the rear shock to have more adjustability then the current one. ALso if you guys could post some links to the shocks and where I can buy them?
http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_xc_604_07.htm

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
never heard of avid juicy 3 brakes...what's the i2i measurement of your shock? loox like ti may be 7.5 or less..you need that for looking at other shox...then if you buy another manufacturer's shock you have to get the correct mounting hardware, this is sometimes tricky with less common frames like mine..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry forgot that. eye to eye measured 6.5 inches. I never heard of the Juicy 3 brakes either. When I was looking for bikes, this was bought at my LBS (gave a HELL of a deal) and I tried to look up all the components. I couldn't find much about the fork, rear shock, or the brakes. BUT they are like butter. I like the Hydro bakes alot! I have been playing with the set up of the shocks and I think I got them setup pretty good. Pumped 110 in the front shock, and 165 psi in the rear. The balance feels the best so far. I am 6 foot tall 210 by the way.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Avid Juicy 3

The Juicy 3 brakes are a new, entry point OEM hydro from Avid. On the shock, in addition to the E 2 E measurement, you will also need to know the stroke. If memory serves me correctly, your 6.5 Inch shock will have a stroke of approximately 1.5 inches.

Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking and reading online about different shocks. I was leaning toward a Fox
RP23 but the price is pretty high. I want the adjustment to take away pedal bob when riding around the neighborhood. I was looking at the Swinger 3 way with SPV and the price is good on that shock. Would the swinger be a huge upgrade from the Radium R, and would it make a huge difference on the pedal bob?

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, the radium R has a platform set up on it (at least my brother in-laws does). It very similar to the swinger, except you can't adjust the platform. So if you like the radium, then you should like the swinger. Then you can add more platform. The only down side is that you can't turn the platform off the the swinger (like you can with a fox). You set it up by adding more or less air to the SPV valve. SO if you have it set up not to bob, you can't turn it off quick to have it plush. My brother had a Cake DLX with a swinger and we tried all different air pressures to set it up, but never found one we liked. But the he also prefers a plush shock. If he had it set up plusher then it would blow through the travel, because the SPV pressure is also the bottom out boost. Maybe you'll like it that way, personally I love a nice plush shock:D . I'll live with the bob to have the buttery smooth travel.
Bunk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.