Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New poster here, looking for some advice.

I've been a bit out of touch with rear shock technology for some time now, but continue to ride quite a bit, and am looking for some tips on shock upgrades. Looking to upgrade my current ride, a 2002 Giant AC Air Lite. It's got a RockShox SidXC (7.5"x2.0") shock on it now, with travel adjustable from 4.5" to 6.0". I ride mostly in the 4.5" and 5.15" settings. I've got a PsyloXC fork up front still, which I will likely be keeping in the near future.

I used to do more freeriding, but have migrated to more cross-country/trailriding in the past few years. I don't drop anything over 3-4 feet anymore.

I'm looking to upgrade the SidXC to something a bit newer, that would bob less, climb better, and provide better performance for all-around trailriding in New England (lots of rocks, ruts, and roots, so small hit performance is key).

Been looking at:
Cane Creek Cloud 9
Manitou Swinger 3-way
Marzocchi Roco Air 3PL

Read good review about the Cloud9 and Swinger, but little input on the Roco (and seems heavy for an air shock, and from what I've heard, a bit harsh).

Questions:
Input on these air shocks? Something else I should consider?
Should I consider a coil shock instead of air (never used one)?
Can I go up to a slightly longer eye-to-eye length (7.875"), or would that screw up all geometry on the bike, or just not fit altogether into the frame?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, at this point, leaning towards the Cloud 9 - can get it at a really good price. The reviews have been really good. Any other input before I go with it would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.