Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I bought a 2015 trance last year, which still has the original rockshox monarch on it. Pretty much everything else on the bike is new, the fork is a 2020 fox 36 and I want to upgrade the rear shock to match. I've been thinking of a DPX2, but don't know if it will fit. Has anyone upgraded theirs or know what will work on mine?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hi everyone, I bought a 2015 trance last year, which still has the original rockshox monarch on it. Pretty much everything else on the bike is new, the fork is a 2020 fox 36 and I want to upgrade the rear shock to match. I've been thinking of a DPX2, but don't know if it will fit. Has anyone upgraded theirs or know what will work on mine?
I had a 2015 trance 27.5 some time ago. I tried a few different shock configurations and ultimately, I ended up sending a rockshox monarch to avalanche downhill racing and had them rebuild/tune it. I long shocked mine, and I was running a 200x57mm shock, instead of the stock 200x51mm shock. If memory serves, this gives the bike around 155-157mm of travel. There was more clearance to long shock that frame on the large and xl models. The medium were a bit close to comfort for my tastes.

Truthfully, any 200x51mm shock would work. The dpx2 would be a good choice for that bike, and many of them are medium tunes in both the aftermarket or the oem takeoffs. The only consideration, is that some of the older piggy back shocks, and some of the coil piggy back shocks, got very close to having frame clearance issues between the piggyback reservoir and the top of the frame downtube. There is more then enough room for a DPX2 as it has a small reservoir.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a 2015 trance 27.5 some time ago. I tried a few different shock configurations and ultimately, I ended up sending a rockshox monarch to avalanche downhill racing and had them rebuild/tune it. I long shocked mine, and I was running a 200x57mm shock, instead of the stock 200x51mm shock. If memory serves, this gives the bike around 155-157mm of travel. There was more clearance to long shock that frame on the large and xl models. The medium were a bit close to comfort for my tastes.

Truthfully, any 200x51mm shock would work. The dpx2 would be a good choice for that bike, and many of them are medium tunes in both the aftermarket or the oem takeoffs. The only consideration, is that some of the older piggy back shocks, and some of the coil piggy back shocks, got very close to having frame clearance issues between the piggyback reservoir and the top of the frame downtube. There is more then enough room for a DPX2 as it has a small reservoir.
Why did you ultimately go to a custom built rockshox over that fox DPX2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Why did you ultimately go to a custom built rockshox over that fox DPX2?
I owned this bike in 2015 through 2016. The DPX2 didn't exist back then and the options were a float X CTD (quite the terrible shock), the float CTD and the monarch. There were a few other options, none of them great and none of them mainstream. Ultimately, both RS and Fox had pretty weak products in this generation. The RS stuff was arguably better, but the monarch had some decent flaws due to the IFP in the piggy back, and they were very susceptible to mixing the air/oil on frames that side loaded the shock. The trance was pretty good about not side loading the shock, especially compared to some of the other bikes of this generation.

I digress... The monarch I had was a 57mm stroke version, and had some custom tuning done to it. It ended up being the better solution for the bike. All that being said, the maestro was (and still is) a linkeage design that isn't as reliant on the shock tune as some other designs. It tends to have a bottomless, ground hugging feel to it, that doesn't give a ton of communication on where it's at in the travel (that's the bad news) but the upside of that is that it's very plush, very forgiving on setup and overall, not overly dependent on the compression tune to make the bike pedal acceptably. This means that you won't notice a huge gap in performance with a 200 dollar shock compared to a 500 dollar shock on that frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually didn't do the upgrade myself, the p/o did so i don't have anything to compare it too, but i love the fork, it's been awesome so far. View attachment 1949470
Your rig looks really good.

I am under the impression that we can't use modern take off forks due to the width differences between boost (110mm) and non-boost (100mm) forks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I actually didn't do the upgrade myself, the p/o did so i don't have anything to compare it too, but i love the fork, it's been awesome so far. View attachment 1949470
Bike looks sick! I have the X01 and I like it, but it's taken 2 months to optimize. Lot to learn and almost too many options. I've heard nothing but great things about the DPX2, but the general consensus send to be Fox requires a bit more maintenance and tuning than RS.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am under the impression that we can't use modern take off forks due to the width differences between boost (110mm) and non-boost (100mm) forks.
You can use a boost fork, with a boost front hub. There are a few ways to go about it.

New/used/custom wheel/wheelset (boost front, non-boost rear)

MRP Better Boost - Hub-specific adapter kit

Wolf Tooth Boostinator - Hub-Specific adapter kit

Problem Solvers Booster - Generic adapter kit

Adapters generally require the wheel to be re-dished. The wheel won't have the benefits of boost spacing but it's a lot cheaper than a new wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OP, did you ever complete your rear shock upgrade?

I am currently scouring the internet for a used shock and still not sure which one to go for?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.