Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, for someone who is around 260lb, what weight spring for the rear shock would be adequate? My husband has pretty much sprung the spring in his brand new piece of crap rear shock, and I want to replace either the spring (if that is enough) or the whole shock, but with a spring that is going to last awhile and that has enough spring for his weight! Any suggestions on either a good spring or a good shock to replace this with?

·
Registered
41 Posts
lgoodwin said:
Just wondering, for someone who is around 260lb, what weight spring for the rear shock would be adequate? My husband has pretty much sprung the spring in his brand new piece of crap rear shock, and I want to replace either the spring (if that is enough) or the whole shock, but with a spring that is going to last awhile and that has enough spring for his weight! Any suggestions on either a good spring or a good shock to replace this with?
To help us, help you, we need some more information.

What kind of bike. Brand, model, anything you can give us.

The shock on the bike. Progressive, Manatou, Fox, Romic, etc..

What spring is on there now? They will have markings on the spring that will say like 500 x 2.25 or something similiar.

After that we can get an idea and if we need more details we will ask.

What do you mean by "sprung his spring" Did it break?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RhinofromWA said:
To help us, help you, we need some more information.

What kind of bike. Brand, model, anything you can give us.

The shock on the bike. Progressive, Manatou, Fox, Romic, etc..

What spring is on there now? They will have markings on the spring that will say like 500 x 2.25 or something similiar.

After that we can get an idea and if we need more details we will ask.

What do you mean by "sprung his spring" Did it break?
:) Yeah sorry about that-it's a Raleigh Ram XT (rather heavy!), with a Rock Shox Deluxe-the spring is 1.50 x 700 (I guess it is a 700 lb spring, then...), and by sprung, I mean that in order for him to not drag his pedals in the dirt, he has tightened the shock down (by turning the ring) to where the spring is completely engaged, and there is no more bounce/shock absorption left in it...which makes it essentially a very heavy hardtail!

·
Registered
41 Posts
lgoodwin said:
:) Yeah sorry about that-it's a Raleigh Ram XT (rather heavy!), with a Rock Shox Deluxe-the spring is 1.50 x 700 (I guess it is a 700 lb spring, then...), and by sprung, I mean that in order for him to not drag his pedals in the dirt, he has tightened the shock down (by turning the ring) to where the spring is completely engaged, and there is no more bounce/shock absorption left in it...which makes it essentially a very heavy hardtail!
His bike correct? https://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=2&itemid=13

says 4 inches of travel and the based on you, the shock is going to have 1.5" of travel or less...maybe 1.25 or 1 inch stroke. Lets say 1.25.

4"s of travel/1.25 of shock stroke is 3.2:1 ratio (wheel travel to shock movement) based on your description of him dragging his pedals with the 700 spring the ratio might be worst than what I have guessed.

I would say if you can order one go for a 850 to see if it is stiff enough...and not get a spring over 1.5" of room to squish. So a 850 x 1.5 spring should work remembering that it may now be to long to fit on the shock. as teh spring gets beefier, the metal spring itself gets thicker, so the spring to still squish teh 1.5"s gets longer than a 750x1.5 spring.

Also make sure he has the shock in the outermost hole on the rocking arm

That will help keep the suspension ratio big guy friendly. I am 300lbs and had difficulty spinging my bikes but it can happen.

https://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml This source says you husband should be running like a 1200-1600lbs spring. yikes....they probably don't make that size.

I couldn't find much for RockShox springs aftermarket either. Mountain speed spring seems to be out of business....hmmmmm

I hope someone else can offer better optoins. I know you can have custome springs made...but that is going to be $$$. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ride a HT for trail work and race a Rotec DH bike.......

I have a 950lbs spring for my 2.20 travel Fox Vanilla. It is plenty stiff and I have a 3.2:1 ratio (7 inches wheel travel/ 2.2 stroke shock) on my bike.

I am still shooting for a 850 for your husband if you can find one cheap.....ask a shop to search for one. Make them earn their finders fee....err I mean sale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.