Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a new rear shock for my 2021 Stumpjumper Alloy. Riding an S5, 255# plus hydration pack. I've already replace the RockShox Judy with a Fox 36, and am looking to upgrade the rear to match. The setup guide on from Specialized tops out at 250#, and doesn't really change above 240# (max pressure, 300 psi). I feel like I don't have enough compression damping because I blow through a lot of travel over little bumps. I haven't actually measured sag, because I figured it would be ugly since I'm 25# heavier than when they recommend max pressure.

Talked to Cane Creek, and they said they didn't have anything that they would recommend. The Dbair IL fits, but the leverage ratio of the Stumpy makes it so I couldn't run enough pressure for proper support. I've got emails in to Fox and Ohlins, but I'm afraid they are going to give me the same answer.

So any suggestions? I was just reading about the Cascade Link, is that something that helps because it is more progressive? Any other options I should be exploring? TIA!

edit- FWIW I measured sag. No markings on the shock body, so I measured bottom out at 41mm. Static sag was 17mm, by my math (always suspect!) I'm a little over 40% with the shock maxed out on pressure (300psi). Guess my only option is to try to overpressure the shock some and see if I can get the sag number a little more reasonable.

·
Resident Gear Head
703 Posts
At your weight you will need a custom damper tune. Check out the DVO Topaz T3 or the DVO Jade X coil. DVO can very easily do a custom shim stack tune for your bike and weight. Give them a call and see what they say (661) 295-9500

·
Registered
87 Posts
Be careful with coil shocks on SJs and Levos, I don’t know if Spec updated the frame on the 2021 models to accept coil shocks, but the previous version did not do well with coil. Spec designed lateral flex in the SJ frames that put too much side load for the coil shaft to handle, with many riders having catastrophic failure of the shock, and the snapped shaft getting lodged in the frame. At your weight, I would not go with coil on an SJ unless you can find a shock with a large diameter shaft. I’ve read of riders in the 160 lb range having coil shock failures on SJs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I heard back from Fox, they seem to think the 2022 Float X could also work for me. Slots in between the DPX2 and the X2, but generally needs 40psi less than those and has the same max psi. That should be enough to get me in the working range of the shock. Decisions, decisions...

And FWIW, no response from Ohlins.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I heard back from Fox, they seem to think the 2022 Float X could also work for me. Slots in between the DPX2 and the X2, but generally needs 40psi less than those and has the same max psi. That should be enough to get me in the working range of the shock. Decisions, decisions...

Thats good info there! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
Process 134 Party Mode: Marz 350 160mm, Manitou McLeod
6 Posts
I'm about the same weight as you are and ran a Manitou McLeod on my Kona Process for years--love the shock and found that I was able to make it work as stock without any custom tuning.

That being said, I did just get a new bike that came with a Topaz, specifically with the plan to have it tuned for my weight--though I've been able to get it mostly workable with the stock tune--just have the rebound closed down all the way and don't really have the ability to adjust it.

But yeah, as an alternative, might look at the McLeod.

·
Registered
101 Posts

What’s the max PSI on that float X? NVM found it. 350psi and runs 40% lower required air - man that is amazing. Now to find one lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What’s the max PSI on that float X? NVM found it. 350psi and runs 40% lower required air - man that is amazing. Now to find one lol.
Looking at the tuning guide it's 350 psi. Starting pressure to set sag is body weight, so for me probably 275#. Puts me in a happier place in the range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No joke. For front shocks (if it’s ever an issue), LBS told me the ebike shocks are tuned stiffer to accommodate the heavier bike weight and are a great option for Clydesdale riders like the float X.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looking at the tuning guide it's 350 psi. Starting pressure to set sag is body weight, so for me probably 275#. Puts me in a happier place in the range.
Thats crazy just 20# over ride weight for sag......!!!! I am definitely ordering one. My final setup will be (2022 Hightower) cascade link, Fox Float X Factory and ordering a Fox Factory 38 160mm Ebike fork. The 38 and ebike together should be stiff enough for me at 285#'s (and dropping). 250 is probably as low as I can ever get as I carry a lot of muscle so I think this setup will be perfect for literally ever and all riding conditions I will EVER encounter/put myself in lol. Thanks for the tip on the Float X! Seems like the real key to the puzzle for clydes!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me know what you think. I'm two weeks post AC separation surgery so I'm off the bike for a few more months, hoping to do this and a brake upgrade to the Stumpy before I get back on the trail.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lost Co on YouTube seemed to like it. It falls between the dpx2 and the top unit but with the 40% less air needed it’s a slam dunk for big guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there, I recently changed the rear shock on my (admittedly old) Giant AC Team. The stock shock was a RockShox Pro Deluxe coil. I switched to a Monarch XX with lockout. Feels really plush and very tunable, lockout is great for climbing too. I weigh 222 lbs.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
mount the shock
post pictures
sit on it and give us some sag numbers w and without the cascade link

we look forward to the results

heal up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts