Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 02' Blade's rear shock may be on its way out and may need to start shopping. The current setup is a Fox Float RL. Its making some horrible squeaking noises and I hope just a rebuild will fix but it seems a bit worse than a normal wear issue......I may have finally killed it.

If it can't be fixed what would your opions be....?
- Float RL Propedal
- Cload 9
- Get a RL and have it Pushed?
- ???

I weigh 220 and do some techy XC bouncing through rock gardens and longer climbs so pedal bob containment is necessary.
Thanks

·
Paper or plastic?
10,626 Posts
wg said:
I think my 02' Blade's rear shock may be on its way out and may need to start shopping. The current setup is a Fox Float RL. Its making some horrible squeaking noises and I hope just a rebuild will fix but it seems a bit worse than a normal wear issue......I may have finally killed it.

- Float RL Propedal
- Cload 9
- ???

I weigh 220 and do some techy XC bouncing through rock gardens and longer climbs so pedal bob containment is necessary.
Thanks
I'm no shock expert, but the RP3 that came on the ML works great and is pretty simple to set up. No major bobbing (not that I care that much as slow as I am) and can be set between plush and firm with a simple lever adjustment (although it might be harder to reach on the Blade).

·
Registered
297 Posts
wg said:

- Float RL Propedal
- Cload 9
- ???

Thanks
Since you already have an RL why not just get it pushed? They replace all the internals anyway so its current state should not be a problem.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
I concur. If you have the original non-platform fox shock on your SB, the Push upgrade will make you very happy.
PUSH thy Float, and thou shall be happy. I did the PUSH mod. on an '00 Float Rl (mounted to a Tracer) last Spring. It really transformed my bike into a much more efficient peddler without any noticeable loss of small bump compliance. And the word is that the new '05 piston kit has been redesigned and improved, if that's possible.

As for the RP3, I've not had a chance to try one out, yet, and the reviews are good but I'm hearing a PUSH'ed '05 Float will outperform a stock RP3. Squeaky, Homebrew, you guys out there?

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
RP3 on '01 Blade...

I just upgraded to the RP3 on my 2001 Blade. I'm a 230 lb clyde and I DID NOT upgrade to the longer rockers (extra 100 bones!) so I retained the 4.5 of travel. The bike climbs like a goat in the ProPedal mode! I've only got two rides on it but I'm very pleased with the results. The bobbing on the flats has almost totally disappeared and I'm now able to shift to an extra gear as soon as the trail flattens out. I upgraded to get at least one more year out of the old girl before I drop the coin on a MotoLite.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Not so

etal said:
Since you already have an RL why not just get it pushed? They replace all the internals anyway so its current state should not be a problem.
I concur with the Push upgrade. However Push found my Fox Float RC unrepairable. I bought a Vanilla R and had it Pushed.

Another alternative is buy a used shock and get it Pushed.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the help! I'll post back with results.

Werner

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I hope you're using one of the long travel rockers and 7.87x2.0 shock setups. If not, you really need to switch over to a new setup. The 4.5" rockers with the 1.5" stoke shock has a leverage ratio that too high for someone your size.

Now if you are using the long stroke shock, you might have PUSH look at your RL. It might just need a rebuild. Nothing to loose but shipping. If it's not broken, I would highly recommend the PUSH Factory Tuning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.