Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 rocky mountain switch ltd. Its currently got a fox vanilla coil rear shock which is fine, aside from having a lot of pedal bob.

I want this bike to be my do it all bike, so I need a shock that will allow it to climb more efficiently.

I measured the shock and it measures 6.75" i2i, and it says 1.83" stroke on the spring.

Could I use one of the shocks santa cruz is selling?

like http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/ca...d=397&osCsid=bc1efc5175baa8c626f233c8fadf6e0e
or
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/ca...d=413&osCsid=bc1efc5175baa8c626f233c8fadf6e0e
(no size on the gravity)

Basically I'm looking for a cheap shock i can throw on there for more XC type rides (I plan on getting a lighter wheelset too) but that can still hold up to some abuse pretty well

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd rather buy a new shock from santa cruz for 99 rather then pushin my current shock for 150... it would cost less and my travel being rduced wouldnt really be much of a problem.

anyone gotten a fox vanilla r pushed and had really good reuslts? i need a more efficient pedaling shock

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Do not forget the hardware.

The spacers on the FOX will not work with the Progressive.

Personally, I will take a WERKS valving job over stock any day, but that is me. (as well as thousands of others.) However, I weigh 230lb with gear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm only 170ish with gear, i just need something more efficient. And i just dont know how much better push can make my vanilla R shock as far as efficient pedaling.... just dont know what to do.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Jake, Call PUSH.

Look, I can understand your confusion. That is why you are on this board, asking these questions.

I have been into (and in) the Bicycle industyr for YEARS. I know the bike that you have, and understand what you want it to do.

Do some research on the shock board on PUSH. It will show you the way. THe shock from Santa Cruz will work, but will loose some travel. Personally, I would not go that way.

Are you trying to drop weight from the bike?

I already have told you what I would do. Can you get the Swinger, and have the Fox rebuilt? Best of the best.

EDIT: That is not a swinger, it is a 5th air. Progressive is no longer making Bicycle shocks (something else to consider.) Not only that, it is off of Juliana S/M frames. THe Juliana is Santa Cruz's superlight for Ladies. Thaat shock is probably valved for lighter riders. I say forget that one.The Nomad runs a larger shock. That will notr work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.