Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I need advice on my rear shock. I currently have just a cheap shock but my brother parted out his old Iron Horse and gave me his 05 RS shock but it is 1" longer then mine and I am wondering if this will become a problem if I decide to use it. I couldn't find the thread that I was reading a few months ago about this so I figured I had better ask the pro's. Thanks

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, an inch on a rear suspension mod is huge for most all bikes. An SC Bullit allows one of the biggest swings in rear shock length increase of just about any bike around, and it can go up about an inch if you mount it in a manner never intended...directly to the frame...going from a 7.875" to a 9". Most bikes allow little if any shock length increase, a 1/4" being the most common extension on those that do. Tell us what bike you're considering this mod on, and maybe we can supply some better info...and what RS shock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For general info I have a Diamond Back and the shock is 6.5" and I was incorrect on the other shock it is a Fox Float R that is 7.5" long. I am going to assume that this doesn't matter and the correct size shock would be best.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah true. A bike with a 6.5" shock is going to be a shorter travel bike compared to Bullits and others, so an inch is totally out of the question. The good news is that 6.5" is a fairly common size, so if you need a rear shock, finding one shouldn't be a chore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.