Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to change the Fox Float in the rear for a coil shock.
Have never rode on a coil...Don't know how it feels.
Please recommend exact models, thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
Fox DHX 5.0 Coil. This is what most people running coils have because it comes stock on so many bikes and frames. It's a great shock and you can have Push Industries custome tune it for you. You surely have many options. Marzocchi Rocco, Cane Creek Double Barrel, Manipoo, and Avalanche to name a few.

Best of luck

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

What frame? How heavy are you? bike setup? Riding style?

Send the Float to PUSH and have it tuned for you
Dawg Medium (18)
Me: 143 lbs, 180cm (6 feet?)
Setup: Stock+Van R fork+Deore Hydro
Use: Slow tech singletrack+rockgardens+smaller drops
Style: Learning...:p

Have no money and patience for Push,
but sure it is a great thing...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
fox vanilla of fox vanilla rc, 7.787X2...probably a 400 or 450 pound spring...sometimes finding a spring used is hard

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
so, how are you going to get a new shock?

danyiluska said:
Dawg Medium (18)
Me: 143 lbs, 180cm (6 feet?)
Setup: Stock+Van R fork+Deore Hydro
Use: Slow tech singletrack+rockgardens+smaller drops
Style: Learning...:p

Have no money and patience for Push,
but sure it is a great thing...
If you do not have the money for a push upgrade, what is your budget for anew shock? It is a standard Float R, size 7.875x2 (spring weight)

What about the current shock do you not like?

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If you do not have the money for a push upgrade, what is your budget for anew shock? It is a standard Float R, size 7.875x2 (spring weight)

What about the current shock do you not like?
I live in Isr, so shipping-pushing-shipping could be a lot of $$$.
My budget: max 700$. The question: is it worth it?
I like very much my Float Air, but bottomed out at smaller drops, so...

unless you are doing serious hucking or dh racing, air is much better
Really? I don't do serious hucking , i haven't got the balls for it.
Also, the Dawg not made to take big hits...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
danyiluska said:
I live in Isr, so shipping-pushing-shipping could be a lot of $$$.
My budget: max 700$. The question: is it worth it?
I like very much my Float Air, but bottomed out at smaller drops, so...

Really? I don't do serious hucking , i haven't got the balls for it.
Also, the Dawg not made to take big hits...
I think coil has its place in trail riding as well. In all honesty, coil vs air is a personal preference. Both have different feels...coil is consistent/linear through its travel. When the force is graphed on an air shock, it will show as a curve. The DHX Air for example will ride deeper in its travel "commonly known as wallow...which is not necissarly bad." This is caused because there is a flat spot in the compression cycle. The DHX Coil will typically ride higher in its travel providing a different feel. Coil shocks I would recomend: DHX 5.0 Coil and Marzocchi Roco. However, I would suggest looking into a DHX Air. I think this will suit your riding style best, and you should not have any BO trouble if you have the BO Knob and Boost dialed in. If a guy I know does 8fters with a DHX A on his Nomad, i dont think you should have any trouble. I think fox has the well known stuck down issue resolved. If you are just want to try coil, go for it, and make up your own decision:thumbsup: The Fox DHXs, or the Marzocchi ROCO are within your price range. From what I understand, the ROCO is known more as a big-hit shock. I have a friend who has expereince with both, and told me that the DHX Air feels better for trail riding, and the ROCO feels better on big hits. In my experience, the DHX Coil feels good on both big hits and trail....but then again I dont have anything to compare it to besides an 05 Fox Vanilla R which was junk... Sooo, I have a degree of ignorance on this topic in regard to my own exerience. :D

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
You know, you can buy direct from Push, if you're so inclined.

There's really nothing wrong with a straight up Vanilla, but you won't get the bottom out tuning of the DHX shocks. However, you should be able to tune out any bottom out on an air shock since they are more progressive. It could be a matter of a few PSI in the chamber. Converting to a coil shock will not solve your bottom out problems, really. You need to understand how to tune the shock you have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.