Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. New here to the site, and been doing some research and not quite found what I'm after.

I'm looking to upgrade the rear shock, current size is 7.5"x2" (190x51mm), looking to upgrade to 7.875"x2.25" (200x57mm) as I have the chance to get one relatively cheap.

I've already upgraded the fork from 140mm to 180mm, and need to know would there be any adverse effects to the bike if I upgraded the rear shock size.

My bike is this: https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/image...-08/carrera-banshee-x-19-mountain-bike-08.jpg

It's basically the same frame as a Kona Coiler 6" travel bike.

Thanks in advance

Dan.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It's not really an upgrade when you increase the size of the shock dimensions unless the bike was designed for it...could be a downgrade in performance if your longer eye to eye shock adversely changes handling (if your fork didn't do that already), or worse if the longer stroke causes tire/frame contact at the wrong time :D You might ask Carrera for their take if no one pipes up with actual experience...

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
The frame might fail very quickly with that much longer fork than designed, due to increased leverage and ability to ride bigger drops.

The BB (and whole bike) will be about 1.5 inches higher before sag, using more sag than original then about 1 inch higher while sagged and riding, and the frame slacker by about 1 degree. That's a big difference for handling and stand-over clearance. If your bike with speced 140mm fork and shorter shock has a common BB height about 13.25" the handling might work out OK.

I like your ambition to experiment. But I'd be most fearful of sudden frame failure.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
i was wondering the same thing about my force... will a 7.875x2.25 work for mine??? i am thinking no but just wondering cause i cant find any good deals on stock size dhx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.