Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody educate me on the measurements of a rear shock. I am looking to replace the rear shock on my bike and need to get the right size. I'm guessing that I should measure the length of the shock and then match that length with the new one. How are they measured? End to end? Bolt to Bolt? I just want to make sure that the new shock will fit my bike. Anything else I need to consider?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Shocks are expressed size wise by eye to eye length of the shock to suit your frame and the stroke of the shock to suit the intended travel of your frame. For example I have an 8.5 x 2.5 shock on my Nomad for it's 8.5 inch eye to eye length (center to center of the eyelets/bolt centers) and 2.5 inch stroke. The other thing you have to get with a new shock, depending on your old shock, is possibly the appropriate shock hardware to mount it to your frame.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
robhyldahl said:
Could somebody educate me on the measurements of a rear shock. I am looking to replace the rear shock on my bike and need to get the right size. I'm guessing that I should measure the length of the shock and then match that length with the new one. How are they measured? End to end? Bolt to Bolt? I just want to make sure that the new shock will fit my bike. Anything else I need to consider?
Shocks are measured eye to eye - center of each bolt hole. The stroke , of the shock, must be taken into account as well. Physical characteristic's should be looked into as well - air , coil, piggy back etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.