Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help since my LBS doesn't speak English or have enough knowledge. I had a 99 bullit with the old Fox vanilla RC. Loved it, but SC is sending me a whole new bike frame but without a rear shock. They told me that I could use my old shock to put the bike back together. The size of the shock is so different from what the new settings ask for. I think the old shock is a 7.87? but Bullits new specs ask for 8.5 X 2.5. Confused because I thought the old shock would throw the geometry off way too much. Over here I don't have the ability to go down and buy a shock because everything is Shitmano. What should I get, because we do a lot of dirt jumps and downhilling only 3 to 4 times a year. Most of my riding is urban street and horrible uphill trail riding. Should I stick with FOX or try and buy a 5th element. I'm scared because I'm outta touch and bikeless. Hold me....

Thanks ahead of time.....

·
noMAD man
12,105 Posts
Either size shock will fit.

I need help since my LBS doesn't speak English or have enough knowledge. I had a 99 bullit with the old Fox vanilla RC. Loved it, but SC is sending me a whole new bike frame but without a rear shock. They told me that I could use my old shock to put the bike back together. The size of the shock is so different from what the new settings ask for. I think the old shock is a 7.87? but Bullits new specs ask for 8.5 X 2.5. Confused because I thought the old shock would throw the geometry off way too much. Over here I don't have the ability to go down and buy a shock because everything is Shitmano. What should I get, because we do a lot of dirt jumps and downhilling only 3 to 4 times a year. Most of my riding is urban street and horrible uphill trail riding. Should I stick with FOX or try and buy a 5th element. I'm scared because I'm outta touch and bikeless. Hold me....

I have a '99 and an '03 Bullit. The 7.875 X 2.25 and 8.5 X 2.5 will exchange between either frame. Of course travel will vary from 6" to 7", and geometry will change. The slick thing about a Bullit, however, is the adjustable shuttle. You can basically retain or attain the geometry you want by adjusting the shuttle. The '03 and later shuttles have a "kick-up" that even provides a small degree of either falling or rising rate depending on how you position it. This way depending on which length shock or the height of fork you're using, you can still usually get a geometry that works with your setup. I've had numerous types of shocks in these 2 frames and experimented with different setups and travel combos. As to getting a new shock for your frame, I would recommend a stable platform model. The Bullit responds well to this type as far as pedaling performance. "Pushing" an RC is also becoming a popular alternative. A search on this site will produce lots of past posts about the subject under a search of "Push".

·
Professional Slacker
3,271 Posts

Hey, a fellow Okinawa rider here!! Did you call Santa Cruz and tell them about all of this? Seems if they're replacing a frame and the old shock doesn't fit, they should throw in a shock.

Anyways, drop me a line at [email protected]n, just take out the two "a's" and the "n" if you're not already on the mailing list for OMBA (Okinawa Mountain Biker's Association)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts