Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rebound went out on my Manitou Swinger. When I measure eye to eye I'm coming up with 7 5/8 and when I max out the subframe or swing arm(I'm a motorcycle guy) I measure 7 3/4 between bolt on holes.

I know I can send it off but I don't want the down time and I don't want to buy a new 400$ shock for a Giant AC. The bike has a super t fork and 8 " juicy brakes and I'd like to keep everything in the ballpark for what it is.

Any suggestions? The reviews I've read scare me away from the air shocks. I'm 170 lbs and a fairly aggressive rider but no hotshot. I think I'm looking for used and I'm on a budget too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My question is something that I posted in the Mongoose forum, that being: I had an odd item happen over the weekend involving my rear suspension. Has anyone heard of a Mongoose suspension completely separating from the frame of the bike? That happened while I was riding on a sidewalk and sent me to the local hospital, was decided by EMS that because of injuries it would be our local trauma center. The bike is a Mongoose Xr 200, 26 inch, bought earlier in the year from Wally World (Walmart.) Any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated.

700 Posts
Dr willy said:
My rebound went out on my Manitou Swinger. When I measure eye to eye I'm coming up with 7 5/8 and when I max out the subframe or swing arm(I'm a motorcycle guy) I measure 7 3/4 between bolt on holes.

I know I can send it off but I don't want the down time and I don't want to buy a new 400$ shock for a Giant AC. The bike has a super t fork and 8 " juicy brakes and I'd like to keep everything in the ballpark for what it is.

Any suggestions? The reviews I've read scare me away from the air shocks. I'm 170 lbs and a fairly aggressive rider but no hotshot. I think I'm looking for used and I'm on a budget too...
I thought I'd give you the exact spec for that bike. I worked with Giant when they developed the first AC. The eye to eye is actually 7.5" and the shaft stroke is 2".

Did you check the air pressure in the reservior of that shock? If you did and it has no rebound damping, most likely the "control valve" has let go and will need to be replaced.

Merry Christmas

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
On the surface, it sounds like some aspect of the rebound circuit has failed. If both compression and rebound had failed or gone soft, I'd say air migrated into the damper oil. Since it's just the rebound...and I'm assuming you checked to see that the compression was still operating properly...it's got to be in the rebound circuit. My 4-Way Air was over 3 years this summer, and I finally overhauled it out of guilt. I had to buy 3 special tools from Manitou to do the job, but the tools also carry over to all the other shocks in the Manitou lineup...I have an ISX-6 also. As MTD suggested, check all the obvious things first. Also make sure the rebound knob isn't just spinning on the shaft.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
As Mr Marzocchi has said, if you lose reservoir pressure on an SPV shock, the compression circuit stays open on rebound.
Sometimes these valves get sticky and need more pressure than normal to hold them shut on rebound.

Check the pressure, then let us know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.