Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm new to the forum. I have a question that someone out there might beable to help me with. I recently got a Manitou Answer FS frame and i'm looking to replace the rear shock. Anybody know what will fit this frame? It looks a bit abnormal from all the ones i've seen.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Without more info (especially given how manitou frames came in different versions) like a PICTURE... no we can't help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't get me wrong, i don't want to switch out the shock. Just that this one has gone bad and i don't think i can rebuild it so i'm looking for a replacement. I'll post of picture soon.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have the same frame and was looking for the same thing about two years ago. Manitou does not have parts to service the Bazooka shock anymore (mine was spewing oil all over the bike).

There is a company called Reset Racing Components (follow link to Reset Components and then to FS/DH Upgrade) out of Germany that makes a linkage to attach an aftermarket shock to the frame (at the time they were suggesting a Fox Vanilla R) for around $175 shipped. It looks like the price has gone up since then and I'm not sure what the exchange rate has done so that price is likely to be higher (plus the price of a shock on top of that amount). Through many emails they told me that to fit a 6.5X1.5" Fox Vanilla I would need 25.4X6mm spacers for the frame eye on the shock and 16X6mm spacers for the linkage eye on the shock (your likely source will be Fox).

Option two is Risse Racing who at the time was machining an adapter that was part of the shock body on their air shocks. This was a direct replacement for the stock shock. I'm thinking that the options were the Astro 5 or the Terminator for $300-350 plus the cost of the custom adaptor (don't remember the figure). The problem here is the frame was made for a coil and the air shock may provide too much ramp up and a harsh ride.

I would say just contact both these companies and see if these parts are even still available. By the time you get either of these options done you're going to be in the mid-$300 to $400-plus range. There are some pretty good closeout frames around for just a bit more that will perform better than the Manitou FS. The frame still holds a dear place in my heart and It's going up on my wall as an art piece someday.

Here's a pic of the Risse Racing shock they sent me.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
wkendwarrior said:
here are two pics of the rear shock. it is a manitou bazooka.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gimme a full shot, eh? Please? Don't make me beg.

OOOOOHHHHH BABY!!!!!!!!

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Holy Smokes, I use to want that frame so bad! I saw one on Ebay just last week and thought about buying it just for Shites and giggles, but it wound up going for too much.

How cool would it be for someone to host a "Retro" Dh race? No more than 4" of travel, pre-1995 bikes, 56t minimum chainring, canti brakes, and speed suits! Man that would be fun and dangerous...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
wkendwarrior said:
Hi all, i'm new to the forum. I have a question that someone out there might beable to help me with. I recently got a Manitou Answer FS frame and i'm looking to replace the rear shock. Anybody know what will fit this frame? It looks a bit abnormal from all the ones i've seen.
Ah, get a new bke, that would be "my" solution...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
For sure.

mattsavage said:
Holy Smokes, I use to want that frame so bad! I saw one on Ebay just last week and thought about buying it just for Shites and giggles, but it wound up going for too much.

How cool would it be for someone to host a "Retro" Dh race? No more than 4" of travel, pre-1995 bikes, 56t minimum chainring, canti brakes, and speed suits! Man that would be fun and dangerous...
That would rock. However, there is only ONE place to hold an event like that.

MAMMOTH Mtn Kamakaze DH course.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
wkendwarrior said:
Andrew, here is the full shot you wanted. enjoy.
Now THAT is what I call one hot piece of ass!

Oh, sorry. :eek:

Thanks for the pic. :thumbsup:

Okay, so how does that rocker pivot work? Have you ever had it apart? It is a bushing on the rocker, and just threads inside the shock mount? I ask with good intentions. ;) I can help.

Titusquasi - if you know, please speak up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.