Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My aging bike (I think 1997) is doing pretty well these days and the whole LTS system doesn't squeeze at all as well as it not giving me any problems. Maybe I got a lucky bike! But my rear shock, the stock Rock Shox with compression and damping control is dying. The red damping knob has siezed and I tried to make it move with a vice grip but it just sheared off. I turn the compression knob and it doesn't seem to have an effect anymore. I know thorughout the years I've seen oil leak out of it so maybe that's the problem. What other options do I have to replace this rear shock at a not so $$$$ price? I'd love to have the ability to lock it up as well as compression and damping control. Are all rear shocks compatible with full suspension mountain bikes or am I stuck with having to find the same shock? Thanks!

--Trevor--

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
rovert said:
Hi guys,

My aging bike (I think 1997) is doing pretty well these days and the whole LTS system doesn't squeeze at all as well as it not giving me any problems. Maybe I got a lucky bike! But my rear shock, the stock Rock Shox with compression and damping control is dying. The red damping knob has siezed and I tried to make it move with a vice grip but it just sheared off. I turn the compression knob and it doesn't seem to have an effect anymore. I know thorughout the years I've seen oil leak out of it so maybe that's the problem. What other options do I have to replace this rear shock at a not so $$$$ price? I'd love to have the ability to lock it up as well as compression and damping control. Are all rear shocks compatible with full suspension mountain bikes or am I stuck with having to find the same shock? Thanks!

--Trevor--
Check out this link. At this price it is cheaper than having it rebuilt, so buy 3 or 4 and you sould be able to get a few more years out of that frame. After clicking on the link scroll down towards the bottom and there is a listing for Rock Shox Super Deluxe trunion mount shock for the GT LTS $68.95.

https://secure9.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=icycles&BusType=BtoC&Count1=269313991&Count2=186454415&Target=products%2Easp&Keyword=gt

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
steve3 said:
Just watch out for those guys. You can't call them (but I have their number on my CC statement) and even if they mess up on your order, as they did on mine, the responsibility of return shipment and all that is on you. You pay. I couldn't get anyone to help me with a $1.80 cable they sent me and then they stopped answering my emails all together, which I told my CC company about. It would have cost me $4 to send it back, plus return shipping to me for the replacement. They tried to contact Icycles, but couldn't and promptly reversed the charge.
Your credit card company should be able to reverse the charges with internet fraud protection. I have that on the credit card I use and if you cannot get any response from the website within one week of trying to contact then VISA will credit me back my money and they will deal with the company personally. :) Maybe a collection agency.... So I guess I'm not too scared about credit card fraud now. Thanks for the heads up! Is there any other shock that is better and can fit on my GT LTS1000 frame?

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's time to bump this thread up. My bike it currently in the shop and I can easily get a new Rock Shox replacement for under $100 but are there any better alternatives to this shock? It's got really bad reviews and I just want something that'll be more reliable and perform just as good. What other rear shocks can fit on this frame? Or what shocks can be retrofitted easily by my local bike store to make it work? Thanks!

--Trevor--
Vancouver, BC

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Stratos

rovert said:
It's time to bump this thread up. My bike it currently in the shop and I can easily get a new Rock Shox replacement for under $100 but are there any better alternatives to this shock? It's got really bad reviews and I just want something that'll be more reliable and perform just as good. What other rear shocks can fit on this frame? Or what shocks can be retrofitted easily by my local bike store to make it work? Thanks!

--Trevor--
Vancouver, BC
Stratos still makes trunnion adapters for the gt and their shocks work great

look under http://www.stratashock.com/main.html under mtb-> products-`>shocks accessories, the trunnion works with the helix pro and expert

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Davide said:
Stratos still makes trunnion adapters for the gt and their shocks work great

look under http://www.stratashock.com/main.html under mtb-> products-`>shocks accessories, the trunnion works with the helix pro and expert
That looks like a nice shock compared to the stock aged Rock Shox. I read up on both and it seems like the Pro can lockout and the Expert cannot? What are the main differences between both shocks? I am just a casual XC rider. I like to get a little bit of air but I'm not into the 10 foot drop offs. I'm a lightweight weighing in at 140lbs and I do a combo of road and off road. The lockout interests me when I'm on flat pavement and climbing hills. Does this shock have a good track record in maintanence and longevity compared to my Rock Shox? I must have had a good shock because it's had no maintance on it since I bought it 5-6 years ago. My front Marzocchi forks have had the seals replaced a few times but they've been good to me. What kind of cost can I get a Helix Pro for online? Thanks!!

--Trevor--

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
rovert said:
That looks like a nice shock compared to the stock aged Rock Shox. I read up on both and it seems like the Pro can lockout and the Expert cannot? What are the main differences between both shocks? I am just a casual XC rider. I like to get a little bit of air but I'm not into the 10 foot drop offs. I'm a lightweight weighing in at 140lbs and I do a combo of road and off road. The lockout interests me when I'm on flat pavement and climbing hills. Does this shock have a good track record in maintanence and longevity compared to my Rock Shox? I must have had a good shock because it's had no maintance on it since I bought it 5-6 years ago. My front Marzocchi forks have had the seals replaced a few times but they've been good to me. What kind of cost can I get a Helix Pro for online? Thanks!!

--Trevor--
i used to have a stratos pro and it worked great for the gt, especially because you can have a remote lockout (which is progressive, you can stiffen the rear at will) that was a godsend on the very plush but not exactly efficient gt ... i'd say go for it, although it is expensive, i dont't know where ou can get it on the web ... maybe go-ride

i never had a problem with the shock or other stratos products

·
Registered
531 Posts
You can also fit any of the Shocks available for the Cannondale Jekyll, just modify the trunion to acomodate it, or ordering a new trunion to betd.com
As I did, and now I have a Fox RL Propedal

Attachments

·
Eh?
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STS said:
You can also fit any of the Shocks available for the Cannondale Jekyll, just modify the trunion to acomodate it, or ordering a new trunion to betd.com
As I did, and now I have a Fox RL Propedal
I found a brand new replacement for my Rock Shox for $50USD on eBay. Ordered it and put it on my bike for cheap! I was thinking of spending $300USD on the Helix Pro but decided not to. I'll probably buy a new frame instead! Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.