Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MR.FIG
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What rear shock are you big guys running on your frames. I just bought a used Diamondback xts moto and the rear shock which is a Romic doesn't work. I was thinking about getten a air shock but not sure how it will hold up. Maybe I should stick to my old fox rc. Pic of my ride.

Attachments

·
Ow!
775 Posts
I think that bike is more of a freeride or downhill bike? If so, that Romic would be good. Not certain what you mean by "doesn't work", but an overhaul by Romic may be all that it needs. It was fairly inexpensive when I had them do mine a few years ago (but for my xc bike). I love it on my XC bike (Turner XCE). Just was playing with the controls on it this morning.

I have a Nomad that came with a DHX coil that worked really well, but I never did true downhill. I mainly use a Manitou Evolver on it now, which is almost as good.

Maybe some more downhill-types can give you better recommendations.

Oh, and I am at 260lbs now, was at almost 300lbs a few years ago.

·
MR.FIG
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought a new Romic D adjust shock and I new 600lbs spring for my fox vanilla rc shock. CBO had the size I needed cheap. The old Romic the frame came with needs to be rebuilt. So I'll be sending that one out. I'll take pics when the parts arrive next week. Thanks for the input..

Emilio

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
I had "OK" results from an older DHX air. I've not used the latest ones, but buds are having much better experiences. I've been totally happy with RP23 and DHX 5s on my rigs. They're easy to tune/rebuild yourself if you're an adept wrench with basic tools and while they are not exotic they've just been working.

Brock...

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
I'm running fox dhxair rc4 with an 850x2.30 spring on a wfo9. I'm 305 geared up and I cannot bottom it out,it is awesome
Since you list a coil rating (850lbs) I assume that you are running a coil shock, and not an air? I only ask because because I'm about your size and the WFO is on my short list for a future demo and I've had bad luck with Fox DHX Air in the past. I'd be interested if there was a fellow clyde having success with that air shock.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry correct I am running the dhxrc4. I replaced the rockshox monarch plus that is now stock on wfo's. The air shock never failed but I didn't use it too long. I could use tue whole travel pumped up to max air pressure. With the fox coil spring I feel like I could do a huge 6 foot drop and not bottom it out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.