Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has an 07 Specialized S-works FSR and the Specialized AFR brain shock has crapped out. The bike store will replace for $500 (new shock), but he is loath to put that much money into an old bike. Is there another shock he could use that he could pick up used? I've done some sleuthing but I can't figure it out, I'm hoping someone with some knowledge on this might be able to offer some insight. It looks like it might need to be adjusted for stroke, but just trying to see what his options are. Any input would be super useful. Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If this is the one with the 'forked yolk' on the lower end of the shock you are very limited. This shock is specifically made for Specialized and not available in open market. I won't buy a Specialized bike because they are known to have components custom made for their frames only. When these 'specialized' components fail on an older bike you discover they no longer stock the parts and it becomes a real pain to keep rolling.

My buddy had a 2009 FSR with a recurring rear shock issue...he was forced to find a used shock on ebay and get it serviced to have as a spare. He finally gave up on the bike and has moved on to a YT Jeffsey. Specialized makes great bikes but a bike you can't get parts for is useless and that's why many avoid them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, weird sizing indeed. Looks like the sizing on the shock is 193.7mm i2i, 41.3mm stroke (found on another thread looking for the same thing I am) so which Mcleod did you get? did you adjust length yourself? We're trying to keep the costs down and so it would be great not to have to send it off to PUSH or what have you to do that work.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Yeah, weird sizing indeed. Looks like the sizing on the shock is 193.7mm i2i, 41.3mm stroke (found on another thread looking for the same thing I am) so which Mcleod did you get? did you adjust length yourself? We're trying to keep the costs down and so it would be great not to have to send it off to PUSH or what have you to do that work.
I'd take a 200x57mm McLeod, install 4 of these to bring the length to 194mm: https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mcleod-travel-spacer-28-x-39-x-1-25-mm-shockcraft.html

Then you need a 10mm spacer on the shaft for travel reduction.

I found a fox triad 184x44 on pinkbike, do you think that would do the trick? too short? I'm not sure what the rules are for shock fitment
10mm too short will drop the back of the bike by about an inch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that might be the deal breaker. He's not into getting things apart, and while I like to tinker, generally do my own service on forks etc, I try to do it with just my own stuff in case something goes sideways! It would probably require a visit to a shop which would start to make it a bit more expensive. Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it, I'll let him know its an option and we can check with a local shop to see if they are up for it and what it might cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you reuse the bushing from the original shock? Trying the put an rp23 in an 06 fsr comp, lower bushing came out old the old shock but seems tight in the new one and upper bushing/spacer seems to be in there really tight. - thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.