Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone give some performance reviews on your VPP with the newer Float R or Rp23 rear shock. I have searched but did not find too much recent info, most of the discussions seem to be about the Rp3 and on bikes a year or two old. I am considering building up a Blur 4X frame for aggressive East Coast trail riding, but no jumping or big drops. Should I get the Float R or upgrade to the Rp23? I know the Rp23 is generally a good shock and I can always get the Float R PUSHed. Thanks for any help you can give.

ps...regarding purchasing just a Santa Cruz frame. Should I expect to pay full retail from a place like Speedgoat, etc. or do they usually discount them slightly. I don't want to know what people payed, just some general info. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
rp23 vs FLOAT

go for the rp23. I've ridden a santa cruz blur lt with a rp3 and rp23 and the rp23 is far and away a better shock for the bike. The rp23 has a better profloat capability. Meaning the profloat adjustment can be tuned to your riding style on a certain trail and with three levels you can't go wrong.

I've ridden a FLOAT rl on many bikes Tuner, SC heckler, psycle werks wild hare, and the RP3 and /or RP23 outperform the FLOAT by a long way. I admit I have never sent a shock away to be professionally tuned so no help in that reguard.

Don't ever pay full price for a bike! To me it is like buying a car. Buy from somebody you trust.

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses...Does anyone know if the Float R comes with a fixed platform/propedal? If so what level? My understanding is that a VPP does not need allot of platform and since I like an active suspension I imagine I would run the RP23 platform off most of the time. If the Float R has minimal platform I think this might be best. Then I could put the money toward an anodized frame.:thumbsup:
 

·
nerfherder
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Float Rs, according to Fox, come with one of three levels of ProPedal: light, medium, or firm.



You'll find one of these indicators on the shock. So, it's fixed.

That said, I can really feel a BIG difference between the lightest setting on the RP23 (ProPedal on, setting 1) and no ProPedal at all. The 4X, with it's short travel rear, hooks up way better with the PP off. So, if I were to do it again, I'd get the RP23 over the Float just so I can turn off the PP when I want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
scruffylooking said:
Float Rs, according to Fox, come with one of three levels of ProPedal: light, medium, or firm.



You'll find one of these indicators on the shock. So, it's fixed.

That said, I can really feel a BIG difference between the lightest setting on the RP23 (ProPedal on, setting 1) and no ProPedal at all. The 4X, with it's short travel rear, hooks up way better with the PP off. So, if I were to do it again, I'd get the RP23 over the Float just so I can turn off the PP when I want.
Is not all that silly a little bit. You must buy an expensive feature just to have a chance to switch it off. That is a mad mad mad world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
spending money ?

I can respect the fact that you want a anodized frame. who doesn't.

I will say that your money will not be wasted on the purchase of the RP23 shock vs. the FLOAT. I will admit all of the FLOAT shocks I've ridden were prior to the propedal technology. I have only ridden the RP2 and RP23 with propedal.

I will agree that there is a noticable diffrence on all 3 setting in the RP23.
I typically find myself in non-propedal about 75% of the time. The other 25% is for long climbs or pavement.
 

·
Got A Lust for Life...
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
Hmm..the Float R on my 4x seems to work wonderfully. I don't know which setting the propedal is in...but it feels great. I figured I would have it PUSHed anyway so I didn't pony up the extra 80 for the RP. I don't feel like I need propedal at this juncture. The bike pedals very, very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
indyfab25 said:
Hmm..the Float R on my 4x seems to work wonderfully. I don't know which setting the propedal is in...but it feels great. I figured I would have it PUSHed anyway so I didn't pony up the extra 80 for the RP. I don't feel like I need propedal at this juncture. The bike pedals very, very well.


If you get a chance can you check your shock for the sticker above and see what setting is highlighted. Hopefully your float R should have this.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top