Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Why I oughta..."
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be heading out to a fastner shop tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happened and do you know the bolt/nut sizes for the upper rear shock mount:

1. Was replacing the rear shock on my 5.5 with Pushed RP3 and found the nylon lock nut on the upper shock mount would not let out. I "tweaked" the nut to place some stress on it to remove.

2. After removal it looked as though the shock mounting bolt was stripped at the inital 1/8" of the bolt, the nylon nut was showing signs of the nylon "ripped" off.

3. Went to the local hardware store, but no luck in finding a suitable replacement.

Questions:
a) does anyone know the size off hand of the bolt and nut?
b) has anyone had this happen? The shock was removed before, but there were no issues with installation (re-install) of the shock.

·
Registered
200 Posts
courtesy of McMaster Carr

SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW
Part Number: 91292A144 $10.07 per Pack of 25
Head Style: Standard
Material Type: Stainless Steel
Finish: Plain
Class: Not Rated
Stainless Steel Type: 18-8 Stainless Steel
Drive Style: Hex Socket
Thread Size: M6
Metric Thread Pitch: 1 mm
Length: 50 mm
Hex Key Size: 5 mm
Thread Style: Right Handed
Thread Length: Partially Threaded
Head Diameter: 10 mm
Head Height: 6 mm
Rockwell Hardness: Not Rated
Minimum Tensile Strength: 101,000 psi
Thread Fit: Class 6g
Specifications Met: Deutsche Industrie Normen (DIN)
DIN Specification: DIN 912-A2

or you might send me a self stamp envelop to me, i'll send you maybe 5 bolts for free. the nut with silicone inside, goto OSH...make sure you have patience looking for it. or i might when i ship one for you...it's $0.25/ea (SHHHHH)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
schumi

just curious what is the shank length? We've been trying to track down some locally that would have a longer shank for a better fit w/out actually having the reducers rest on the threads of the bolt.

·
Registered
200 Posts
eric

what you need is a shoulder screw...hmmm let's say the length of the remaining thread after you inserted the bolt is 5mm. you can use this one...better use a vernier caliper because the fact is, i got the same situation with boboso...so i researched and found a cheaper way to get the stock bolt. the caliper is the best thing to use before endorsing this shoulder bolt, which the increment of the bolt's length is +5mm. you have the better way to try this...

can i ask the check now from mcmaster???

Part Number: 92981A130 1-4 Each $2.61 Each
5 or more $2.22 Each
Material Type: Steel
Finish: Plain
Class: Class 12.9
Steel Type: Plain Steel
Head Style: Socket
Head Diameter: 10 mm
Head Height: 4.5 mm
Screw Type: Standard
System of Measurement: Metric
Shoulder Diameter: 6 mm
Shoulder Diameter Tolerance: -.01 mm to -.072 mm
Shoulder Length: 45 mm
Shoulder Length Tolerance: +.25 mm
Thread Size: M5
Metric Thread Pitch: .8 mm
Thread Length: 9.5 mm
Thread Fit: Class 5g 6g
Rockwell Hardness: C39-C44
Self-Locking Element None
Specifications Met: International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
ISO Specification: ISO 7379
Shear Strength: 95,700 psi
Minimum Tensile Strength: 174,000 psi
Hex Key Size: 3 mm

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Schumi

The shoulder length sounds closer to what's neccesary for no threads contacting the reducers on the shock, I' bought some the other day from a bolt manufacturer here locally and had to trim off about 5mm of thread and now the bolt fits flush with the outer edge of the upper swing link on the 6.6. The problem is it's a grade 5, not a grade 8 as spec'd by Intense, so before trying to sell anyone any of these, I'm gonna try to put the hurt on them and see if they hold up. The 3mm hex key size from the above stated bolt is a little under par (maybe it's really a 5mm?) I'll send you a photo of the bolts we cut down and see what you think. E

·
"Why I oughta..."
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all... I got the bolts (McMaster as well). But I have to give kudos to The Path in Tustin as they had one available for me to ride this weekend.

Size is 6m x 40 with 6m Nylon lock nut (per Intense).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.