Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
dragin' fly
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the rear shock axle broke on my brand new blur xc(less than 100 miles). has anyone had any problems like this? is there a beefier axle out there? i'm no expert, but the shock to axle point looks like a weak spot. i ride xc and will be back on my hardtail until sc can warranty this.thanks for any input.

·
dragin' fly
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys, sorry but no pics. its already on its way to california. yeah, it broke exactly where the shock meets the through axle(the pin that threads through the rp23 on the bottom end of the shock). my shop said in the process, it also mauled the swingarm and bearings. pretty disapointing. but not as disapointing as finding out it will be 4 weeks at the minimum.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
standingindian said:
hey guys, sorry but no pics. its already on its way to california. yeah, it broke exactly where the shock meets the through axle(the pin that threads through the rp23 on the bottom end of the shock). my shop said in the process, it also mauled the swingarm and bearings. pretty disapointing. but not as disapointing as finding out it will be 4 weeks at the minimum.
Auch... bummer.. I hope SC steps it up and gets your bike back to you sooner...

·
dragin' fly
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i noticed the axle pertruding a 1/4 inch and tried to tighten it up, relizing after the fact that the axle was already broken. i may have done damage to the linkage riding or during the walk out of the woods. afew miles into my walk out the axle came free of the shock at which point it was evident i had broke it completely.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's been a pattern or issue on the Blur at that spot, has it? In fact that sounds like an assembly that didn't get tightened properly, and then most of the damage occured from it coming loose...not suggesting that the owner was the one who failed to tighten the bolt originally. Man, that is hard to take on a new bike. Maybe the good news is that it's probably not a continuing problem.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There's a pattern developing here...

I know of 2 Blur LT's that have broken here. In one case it wasted the shock by scraping up the side of it and SC wouldn't do anything about the shock under warranty. The rider isn't the smoothest person I know but doesn'tdo anything but what the bike is intended for - rough XC / all mountain riding.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Bog what are you blathering on about? The bike didn't break, the shock axle did and there's not even much info about that. With your buddy, again not much to go on, but was it the dealer or SC that didn't warranty it?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm not trying to alarm but you that's a definite weak spot in the new design. Watch for any bending in that area because the loads are quite high for the size of hardware that they have in there.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't find any blathering in my response.

Bikinfoolferlife said:
Bog what are you blathering on about? The bike didn't break, the shock axle did and there's not even much info about that. With your buddy, again not much to go on, but was it the dealer or SC that didn't warranty it?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm not trying to alarm but you that's a definite weak spot in the new design. Watch for any bending in that area because the loads are quite high for the size of hardware that they have in there

Blathering. Back it up if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Tell me what you don't understand about my statement and I'll explain it. Seems pretty clear to me. Have you even seen the pivot at the back end of a Blur XC or LT?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You're the one making claims, back them up. Are you an engineer or otherwise qualified to put an explanation to your claims? Until then, it's blathering. That's pretty funny about have I ever seen one, though.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
We have sold a very large number of XC's and LT's and have not had this problem with any of the bikes.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mtnbikej

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
standingindian said:
The only reason I can see this taking so long for is that the color of the swingarm you have/want is outta stock. SC has usually been pretty quick at handling warranty issues in the past as long as they have the itme in stock.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm stating facts here, that's it. Background? Why would I need any background other than 2 eyes and a brain to see where a broken bike is broken? Like I've said, I know of 2 that have snapped at the lower shock mount.

If you'd have stopped your blathering and looked at my profile you'd have figured out that I do have the background to speak about these issues.
I was considering a Blur LT instead of my Nomad until I saw these failures and did some quick calcs on the loading in this area. I owned a Blur Classic that broke in this area also (and there was no obvious defect in the upper link so you know the loading is very high).

Bikinfoolferlife said:
You're the one making claims, back them up. Are you an engineer or otherwise qualified to put an explanation to your claims? Until then, it's blathering. That's pretty funny about have I ever seen one, though.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Hmmm, I had already viewed your profile and it's now a different profile than yesterday. Nice.
I still think your previous comments were unqualified, am still not sure. We have had no problems with the Blurs in the area you mention, though. I still think there's a difference between the frame and shock hardware...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.